VMs work on LapTop but not on DeskTop - Why?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CarryT1976

VMs work on LapTop but not on DeskTop - Why?

Post by CarryT1976 »

FAIL_DeskTop_Kali-Linux-2021.1-vbox-amd64-2021-04-27-13-34-16.log.7z
Had to Zip Failed Launch as file too big DESKTOP
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
SuccesfulLaptopKali-Linux_Attacking_Machine-2021-04-27-13-43-38.log
Succesful Launch from LapTop
(94.98 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Hello,

I'm brand new here so please be gentle with me. Tech Talk is not one of my strong points but I'll do my very best.

I installed VirtualBox on my Desktop about 3 weeks ago and everything worked really well, then I didn't use them for a few weeks. Then I couldn't seem to get them going again so tried various new installations and couldn't get the VM's (debian or Kali-Linux) to launch properly at all. They just seemed to hang on launch screen and not move.

SO, I tried the installs on my laptop. I am trying to install Debian 64-bit and Kali Linux 64-bit so I can perform some test attacks within the Cloud environment for my Cyber Security masters degree (just a bit of background).
Anyway I did have 1 failed install on my laptop but now I have 2 succesful installs of both environments that I need (on laptop) :-) (thank goodness), but I am perplexed as to why my desktop won't let me run the virtual machines anymore as this machine has twice as much RAM.

I will attach 2 logs from both machines and maybe someone could tell me the difefrence and what is stopping my desktop from launching succesful VMs now ?

I'd prefer to have the VM's on my desktop if possible, but if not - so be it :-) Just to know why it won't work on my desktop would be great.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Caroline
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VMs work on LapTop but not on DeskTop - Why?

Post by scottgus1 »

Both VM logs show that Hyper-V is enabled on the Windows 10 hosts. It could be that differences in the hosts' capabilities might cause differences in ability for Virtualbox to run under Hyper-V. There is this too in the failing log:
00:00:36.763259 MsrExit/0: 0010:ffffffffb006a2a4/LM: RDMSR 00000619 -> 00000000 / VERR_CPUM_RAISE_GP_0
00:00:40.762805 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago
Try turning off Hyper-V on the failing host. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
CarryT1976

Post by CarryT1976 »

I'll give it a go - thanks :-) and will feedback as soon as ....
CarryT1976

Post by CarryT1976 »

Hello,

Well I'm so pleased. Going through all your steps and now my VM's are working again. i can't thank you enough for your help. :-)

It's amazing the things you need to do to get them working sometimes !! and weird they worked previously (a few weeks ago) then suddenly stopped.

Thanks

Regards,

Caroline
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running!

Windows major updates sometimes enable Hyper-V. After updates, if the VMs stop running, check for the "Attempting..." text in the vbox.log, and kill off Hyper-V as needed.
CarryT1976

Post by CarryT1976 »

Will do, thank you so much :-)