VM Freezing on Startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cuarq

VM Freezing on Startup

Post by cuarq »

I will try to provide as much information as possible:
I have 3 VM's all Windows 10 64 bit, They were working fine a few weeks ago but I booted them up again and when I did, the startup was super laggy and couldn't even make it to the login screen. The loading icon would stutter and go very slow, and eventually the whole screen would turn black and I'd have to force quit the machine.
I made a new VM, same version of windows and everything, just to see if it was the specific VM's that were causing the issue, yet laggy, I was able to boot to the desktop, I pulled up task manager and saw that the CPU usage was at 100%. I shut down, increased the amount of CPU's and RAM, and rebooted, and got the same issue as the other VM's, not even getting to the login screen.

I've tried re-installing VirtualBox, and tried every virtualization setting I could, to no avail.

My theory:
I think it may have something to do with my CPU virtualization settings, as that's the only thing I can think of that I messed around with between when the VM's worked and now, though I reset those settings to default and the issue persists.

VirtualBox Version: 6.1.20 r143896
Host Machine Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080ti
I have two monitors running at 144Hz, which I also acquired between when the VM's worked and now, not sure if it's a cause, but worth mentioning.

I have attached the log file of one of the VM's below.

I appreciate the help in advance!
Attachments
Test-S19-S1-2021-04-21-23-16-25.zip
Zipped Log File
(28.97 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VM Freezing on Startup

Post by BillG »

Your log contains this line

HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available

That means the Windows hypervisor is loaded on the host. See this post. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102592
Bill
cuarq

Re: VM Freezing on Startup

Post by cuarq »

This worked great, thanks!