make virtualbox not capture a spesific function keys

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Meltinglava

make virtualbox not capture a spesific function keys

Post by Meltinglava »

I have a foot pedal that is bound to F24 (like F12 but not on most keyboards) and I use F24 as a Push to Talk key on Discord and other programs. My problem is that when Virtualbox captures my keyboard, it also captures that key. Then I start talking to noone as Discord cant recognicze that the key is pressed. Is there any way to make vbox not capture that spesific key?

Thanks in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: make virtualbox not capture a spesific function keys

Post by scottgus1 »

I believe there is no way to do that. I haven't seen any command in the Virtualbox manual that could block a key.

Tapping the Host key (default is Right Ctrl, see the lower right of the VM window) releases the keyboard from the VM.Then all keys go to the host until the VM window has focus again. Maybe that would help? Or a custom script that catches F24 in the VM and sends a signal to the host OS (see vboxmanage guest property get/set) to make another F24 on the host?
Meltinglava

Post by Meltinglava »

scottgus1 wrote:Tapping the Host key (default is Right Ctrl, see the lower right of the VM window) releases the keyboard from the VM.Then all keys go to the host until the VM window has focus again. Maybe that would help?
This will not work. I need to be able to type in my VM while talking.
scottgus1 wrote:Or a custom script that catches F24 in the VM and sends a signal to the host OS (see vboxmanage guest property get/set) to make another F24 on the host?
Going to try this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I missed this part, sorry:
Meltinglava wrote:F24 as a Push to Talk key
IF PTT requires F24 to be in the host the whole time while you are talking, neither of these ideas will work. You'll need another way to PTT while a VM is active, or another device to talk on so the VM focus doesn't matter.