Can't ping in OR out of VBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GaryInCO

Can't ping in OR out of VBox

Post by GaryInCO »

I've set up a small lab to study for an Ansible exam: one control VM and 5 managed hosts. I got everything in a working state and snapshotted it. I've been using this environment for weeks with no problems.

A few days ago I restored the managed hosts from snapshots, but I did NOT restore the control VM. A while after that (I assume starting when I reverted the snapshots?) I noticed I couldn't ping in OR out. The clients can ping each other (so the networking IS working) but not the host Windows OS or external internet addresses. It's like the gateway wasn't working -- not surprising since the VMs couldn't ping the gateway either. (It's my router.) External hosts (e.g. the Windows host system) couldn't ping the VMs.

So it was like there was a wall around VBox -- traffic was OK inside-only and outside-only, but nothing got in or out.

* All network adapters are Bridged
* I double-checked the (fixed, manually-assigned) IP addresses
* I downed/upped the interfaces

Finally I tried rebooting all VMs -- and poof, now everything is working.

So I've solved it for now. For future reference, any guesses what the problem might have been?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't ping in OR out of VBox

Post by scottgus1 »

GaryInCO wrote:any guesses what the problem might have been?
Could have been just one of those glitches. If at first you don't succeed, reboot.... :lol: