Mouse autocapture

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shefield Baron

Mouse autocapture

Post by Shefield Baron »

Hello, everyone!

I have run into a problem, as a newbie in VirtualBox, my biggest problem is the annoying mouse auto capture - I have already disabled it in the preferences, I have tried multiple VirtualBox versions - 5.4.x, 6.0x and the latest one 6.1.18. Still, no results - the function is disabled but it still auto captures my mouse and keyboard on the interface (trying to graphic download kali linux). I have googled this problem for answers but there are no solutions to this problem, though, it's quite well discussed. Has anyone got any opinions about it, how to fix it?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mouse autocapture

Post by scottgus1 »

I have not tried to turn off mouse capture, since it is useful. Many VM configurations now use the 'USB tablet' mouse, which still behaves like a mouse in the VM but does not lock the host mouse cursor in the VM window. If your mouse gets locked into the VM window, tapping the Host key * releases the mouse.

* The Host key is shown in the lower right corner of the VM's window, in the Status Bar, and is by default the right Control key on Windows hosts.
Shefield Baron

Post by Shefield Baron »

scottgus1 wrote:I have not tried to turn off mouse capture, since it is useful. Many VM configurations now use the 'USB tablet' mouse, which still behaves like a mouse in the VM but does not lock the host mouse cursor in the VM window. If your mouse gets locked into the VM window, tapping the Host key * releases the mouse.

* The Host key is shown in the lower right corner of the VM's window, in the Status Bar, and is by default the right Control key on Windows hosts.
Yeah, I know, but what I was trying to say is that I can't do anything, I am stuck at the opening window - if I try to press anything on the opening window, choose any option, I am automatically captured and when I release my mouse and keyboard, using the Host key and try pressing something again - the cycle repeats and I can't move from a dead spot...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, OK, let's take a look deeper.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the next tab over (the hardening log), zip both files, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.