Beginner: how to create an XP guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DavidSpector

Beginner: how to create an XP guest

Post by DavidSpector »

In trying to create an XP guest, I got the following error message. Is this because Vbox doesn't supply the actual OS code, so that I need to download an ISO file from some random place on the Web to create an XP guest?

The message:
====
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Test.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
====

If this question is too stupid, let me know and I will delete it.
DavidSpector

Beginner: how to create a Linux 64 bit guest

Post by DavidSpector »

I want to try out a Linux ISO called Linux Lite, which is 64 bit, as a guest on my 64 bit Windows host. When I try to create the VM, the choices for Linux OS all have "32 bit" in parentheses. What am I doing wrong?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Beginner: how to create an XP guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Both topics are caused by the same problem:
DavidSpector wrote:the following error message. Is this because Vbox doesn't supply the actual OS code
all have "32 bit" in parentheses.
No, this message is because either your computer's "virtualization technology" (VT-x / AMD-V / SVM) is not on in the BIOS or Hyper-V is active. Go through everything in:
I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests
DavidSpector wrote:I need to download an ISO file from some random place on the Web to create an XP guest?
You do have to provide the desired OS install media. "Some random place on the Web" will be bad for Microsoft OS's, since they are copyrighted. Linux distros are safe to get from the distro's official website. Microsoft OS's need to be downloaded from Microsoft.com or get an official Microsoft CD or DVD obtained from friends or other locations.
DavidSpector

Post by DavidSpector »

@scottgus1 Thank you for explaining that I needed to change the BIOS, which I have done by selecting the System Configuration tab in the Insyde BIOS screen, then enabling Virtualization Technology. The VBox error message needs to be expanded to give the instructions for changing the BIOS, so it is clear to the user what to do without having to bother people on the forum. Since VBox itself cannot change this setting, clear instructions need to be given to the user, in my opinion.

When I tried starting the VM, it said, "Please select a virtual optical disk". This would confuse a beginner, but I guessed that meant to select the .ISO file containing Linux. Anyway,, that seems to have worked except that I get a black screen with the 'running' status noted. The NAT internet connection, surprisingly, is very active communicating over the Internet. I have no idea what it is doing and it is scaring me. I have paused the VM. I don't know how to stop it. Could this be a virus ISO? I downloaded it from CANNOT PASTE WEB ADDRESSES HERE.

Are there any beginner tutorials that would answer my questions? I do have the Vbox Help file, but I don't want to spend the time reading all of it just to get started.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You might find the first chapter of the Virtualbox manual useful.

You were about an hour short of the 24-hour-no-links filter, btw. You should be able to post the link now, or just the name of the distro you downloaded.
DavidSpector wrote:I get a black screen with the 'running' status noted.
Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled and needs to be disabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
DavidSpector

Post by DavidSpector »

I looked for any app that activated Windows VM software (according to replies in this thread) and found none, and as I indicated, I was able to create a 64 bit Linux Lite VM, but it is making lots of internet accesses, so it scares me.

The ISO was downloaded from https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php#current and is called linux-lite-5.4-64bit.iso .

David