My game crashes.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pooper2471

My game crashes.

Post by pooper2471 »

I have an old game I've been trying to run on Windows 98. I don't know what the problem is, and I dunno how to describe it.

It's called "Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion" and it was released in 1996. Whenever I try to run it using 256 colors as it suggests, I get this screen and I have to restart:
Attachments
Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion crash screen
Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion crash screen
MortimerCrash.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 801 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: My game crashes.

Post by mpack »

The pattern of corruption (smearing) indicates that it's running with the wrong display size. E.g. displaying 640x480 graphics on an 800x600 display (these are just numbers I pulled out of the air as an example). On the bright side the colors are uniform so you probably have the correct bit depth.

You're probably wasting your time btw: VirtualBox does not provide graphics drivers for Win98 guests, so it's all running on virtual hardware with native drivers - and it's going to be slow. Plus if you are running in a graphics mode (bit depth) that's different from the host then that will add a lot to the slowness.
pooper2471

Post by pooper2471 »

It requires to be run at 256 graphics.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The game comes from LucasArts, uses the 'Star Wars Rebel Assault' game engine, and the snail looks like Jar Jar Binks.... Dark waters indeed! :lol:

See our 98 tutorial viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918 but there's not much hope. (another star-wars reference there?)