Black screen when open a virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wiebe987

Black screen when open a virtual machine

Post by Wiebe987 »

My VirtualBox used to work but now when I launch a virtual machine I get a black screen (console). I can install the OS but when it boots it goes black. I want to use Kali Linux in VM after I got a black screen I tried installing a normal windows 10 client but I came across the same error. I also tried VMware but it also doesn't launch after installing. See attachment for log. I came across other post and they all had problems with hyper-v. I looked in my log for a similar error then this but i couldn't find it. So I think it's something else, could be wrong tho.

Code: Select all

00:00:03.854870 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.911023 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Attachments
Kali_Linux-2021-04-07-16-33-57.log
(127.34 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Black screen when open a virtual machine

Post by mpack »

Try increasing graphics RAM to something usable. 16MB is way too small. Try 128MB. I would add a second CPU core as well.

Please zip logs before attaching them. You were right at the limit for an unzipped log. In fact, did you chop out part of the log to make it fit? Your log seems to be missing everything from 5 seconds to 6 minutes in, losing lots of important info, like whether the GAs loaded.
Wiebe987

Post by Wiebe987 »

I have increased graphics RAM to 128MB, I also added a 2nd CPU core.

I did not remove anything from the log but I'll reupload the log now it seems to be 135KB instead of the previous one of 128KB.
Attachments
Kali_Linux-2021-04-07-18-04-50.zip
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Those two logs are very different. In the first log there was 10GB RAM available. In the second log it's reduced to 5GB available. Still enough for the VM, but it's worrying that 5GB can just go AWOL. You didn't have two VMs running did you?

But, the important feature of the two logs is the same: the second one logs nothing between 5s and 1m17s in, at which point the VM is suspended. I would expect to see the VM reporting on what level of GAs support the host provides, and which version of the GAs (if any) is running in the guest.

Why is the VM suspending itself, are you requesting that?
Wiebe987

Post by Wiebe987 »

No, I only have one VirtualBox at the moment. When launching the machine I power off the machine and then get the log file, is this the right way to do it?
Last edited by Wiebe987 on 7. Apr 2021, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Both log files are complete. The guest has read exactly 1 sector from the VDI file and executed 613 CPU instructions in total, which could mean that something is wrong in that sector's content (*). Is the VDI supposed to be a MBR or a GPT disk?

Additionally, in the second log file System > Acceleration > Nested Paging is disabled, which will slow down the VM considerably.

(*) It's different from a pristine VDI file, where VirtualBox would create a log message like VMMDev: Guest Log: No bootable medium found! System halted.
ric2000

Post by ric2000 »

Hello ! I have the same problem (black screen). I used Virtual Box with Ubuntu, Red Hat , CentOs and everything was ok. Then I tried to install Kali Linux and the screen goes black .Tried to install another Ubuntu and the same problem appears.

I uninstalled Virtual Box and installed old versions, but it didn´t work.

The VM Log is attached, I couldnt find out how to solve it.
Attachments
VBox.log
Log of VM
(123.43 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@ric2000: please start your own topic (see "New topic" button in the appropriate forum, i.e. Linux Guests), don't hijack someone else's topic.

In any case you do not have the same problem as the OP (black screen is a symptom with many possible causes): you have the Hyper-v enabled problem: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
Wiebe987

Post by Wiebe987 »

okay so now it works...

I have no idea what the problem was but the things I did was factory reset my pc (It had to happen anyway). It still didn't work but I didn't reinstall the machine, just used the previous one. After resetting the bios and reactivating virtualization I reinstalled kali, with the new iso (2021). Also in the installation, I didn't use Debian like the previous time but Ubuntu. I didn't put the iso in the settings with add optical drive but instead, I instantly launched and added the iso when it asked. The same thing is with the windows machine.

Anyway thanks everybody for taking your time. I appreciate it.