Adapter Settings

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ma740988

Adapter Settings

Post by ma740988 »

My setup consist of a Windows 10 host and a Fedora 33 guest. I also have a Centos 7 guest which I'll touch on in a minute.
If I configure the network for NAT (Adapter 1) and Bridge Adapter (Adapter 2) then I have a successful LAN connection where I'm able to get updates 'sudo dnf -y update', while also being able to launch Firefox within Fedora and perform google searches.

If I choose the Host Only Adapter option for Adapter 2 then I don't have a LAN connection and it's unclear why. Thoughts, ideas?

Note: Centos guest configured with NAT (Adapter 1) and Host only (Adapter 2) works. IOW I have a LAN connection. Unclear why it works for one OS and not the other and I've reviewed/compared both settings exhaustively.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Adapter Settings

Post by BillG »

If you have a Windows host and Fedora and Centos guests, what inspired you to post in the Windows Guests forum? You do not have a Windows guest. You have a Windows host.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Moved to "Windows Hosts" forum.

First, why do you want two Internet capable adapters in the VM? That kind of strange decision puts a question mark beside all of your subsequent comments about what works and doesn't.

The most common reasons for "host only" adapter "not working" are (a) invalid expectations, e.g. expecting Internet access from a connection that goes to the host (only), (b) the host-only Ethernet NIC is not installed, (c) the OP is confusing host-only with some other networking mode.

With no log it's hard to guess which.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I am not a fan of multiple NICs in any client OS, on a physical PC or a vm. Windows in particular does not like to switch from one to another.

Routers and servers are designed to handle multiple interfaces, a client OS is not. I would look a a network redesign rather than try to work out why one client OS behaves differently from another.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not a fan of unnecessary complexity either, but I could understand two NICs if they served independent purposes, e.g. NAT for Internet access, and host-only for access to something on the LAN. It's the two Internet channels that puzzle me.