Installed on now failed remote drive won't reinstall

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Thermocline

Installed on now failed remote drive won't reinstall

Post by Thermocline »

Hi Guys.

I'd appreciate your help with this issue. I looked and searched in the forum but didn't find an answer. I had VB installed onto an external SSD and it worked extremely well. Sadly the SSD failed a few weeks ago. Before failure the SSD was labelled as the J drive. I have space to install VB in my normal internal SSD so i tried to do a new installation. The problem is that VB only wants to be installed onto the now-missing J drive. I get an error message saying that J drive is missing and the installation stops.

I've spent a while going through the registry looking for VB installation folders. Where I found a reference to J I changed it to G - my normal installation drive now. I tried as much as I can think of but the VB installation software still wants to install onto J.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Thermocline
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Installed on now failed remote drive won't reinstall

Post by scottgus1 »

This is a problem with your computer's Windows MSI installer database, not with Virtualbox itself.

The Virtualbox installer is really a Microsoft MSI installer program. Try looking at these:
socratis wrote:Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer.

I have two other links to suggest. See also if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
The same thing will probably happen with any MSI-based program that gets installed on another drive besides C, then the other drive disappears. You might need to web-search or ask on a Microsoft forum how to fix this.
Thermocline

Re: Installed on now failed remote drive won't reinstall

Post by Thermocline »

Thanks for the response.

I re-searched the registry and found an entry for the installation path for VB which somehow hadn't shown up before. I changed the entry to the drive path I wanted and VB is now installing - it was..... There was an odd message saying that there was an incomplete removal of "Mailbird" and did I want the installer to deal with it. I clicked yes but nothing has happened for the past 20 minutes. Life was so much easier before my SSD failed !

Thermocline