Error on "select and install software"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Kakuja

Error on "select and install software"

Post by Kakuja »

Hey guys need some help I downloaded the latest versions Kali Linux and Ubuntu for my vb but for some reason I fail on "select and install software". Recently watched a tutorial on how to do this and follwed everystep but must have done something wrong. Sorry for being such a noob but I'm trying to learn any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Error on "select and install software"

Post by BillG »

A bit more detail on how you went about it would help. Where is the downloaded installation file? Did you tell the vm where it is?

The usual method is to assign the downloaded file to the optical drive of the vm (just as you would put a DVD in a physical DVD drive) and start the vm. It should boot from the .iso (which is the same data as you would see on the DVD) and install the OS.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Kakuja wrote:for some reason I fail on "select and install software".
If this "select and install software" is part of the install process for the OS, or a post-install process, and the "I fail" is a failure to authenticate the software to be installed, it could mean that Hyper-V is enabled on the Windows host PC.

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Kakuja

Post by Kakuja »

Hey guys thanks for your help I told the vm to use the installation file I downloaded its Kali Linux installer. Also downloaded Ubuntu. Wasnt able to find the "attempting fall back to NEM" either i'll upload the vm's log and a screenshot of the vm as I have it set up. Thanks for your time guys.
Attachments
Ruiner-2021-04-03-23-25-46.zip
Log
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Kakuja

Post by Kakuja »

Screenshot
Attachments
2021-04-04.zip
Screenshot
(116.17 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You don't have Hyper-V problems, that's good. The VM looks set up OK, except for the disk file being in your user folder root instead of the VM folder:
00:00:02.170742 File system of 'C:\Users\Kakuja\VirtualBox VMs\Ruiner\Snapshots' (snapshots) is unknown
00:00:02.170748 File system of 'C:\Users\Kakuja\Ruiner.vdi' is ntfs
The VM starts properly, boots from the CD-ROM, then shuts down at 8:22 minutes because the close box was clicked, I think.\
Kakuja wrote:for some reason I fail on "select and install software".
Please define the "I fail" part. What exactly happens?
Kakuja

Post by Kakuja »

So I install the base system no problems then i leave default settings on software selection and continue. Then on select and install software step almost towards the end of install it fails I tried to send a screen record of the process but it was too big attached is the last process before getting an error screen
Attachments
2021.04.04-15.00_Trim_Trim_Moment.zip
(240.18 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Kakuja

Post by Kakuja »

So after configure the package manager i fail on select and install software don't get the chance to install the grub boot loader