Should I use 6.0 or 6.1 ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
HeadAche1

Should I use 6.0 or 6.1 ?

Post by HeadAche1 »

Greetings awesome people!

I see that it says software virtualization is not available on 6.1 and to use 6.0. So I'm guessing 6.1 uses "hardware virtualization".

I'm quite a newbie to computer knowledge, could someone explain which is best or the key differences?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Should I use 6.0 or 6.1 ?

Post by scottgus1 »

Modern computers have "virtualization technology": Intel's VT-x, or AMD's AMD-V or SVM, enabled in the computer's BIOS, that help the computer run virtual machines more efficiently. With this hardware-based virtualization technology, multi-processor and 64-bit VMs could be run on a multi-core 64-bit host PC.

Older computers did not have this capability. So some virtualizers, like Virtualbox, had a software method to "fake" the the ability to run virtual machines, with certain limitations: only one processor in the VM, only 32-bit VMs.

Up to 6.0.x, Virtualbox contained the 'fake-it' code, so non-virtualization-technology computers could run limited VMs. Starting in 6.1.x, the 'fake-it' code has been removed, so real hardware-based virtualization technology in the computer is required to run VMs.

Whether to use 6.0.x or 6.1.x depends on whether tour PC has hardware-based virtualization technology. 6.0.x will run on either computer type. 6.1.x will not ru on computers with no virtualization technology.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You should be using 6.1. Sticking to an old version of any software is not going to be viable solution in the long term.
HeadAche1 wrote:So I'm guessing 6.1 uses "hardware virtualization".
It's very unlikely that you have a PC that's so old that it doesn't support hardware accelerated virtualization, i.e. VT-x or AMD-v. I've been using VirtualBox since 2008, and even the PC I was using back then had it, though of course it needed to be enabled in the host BIOS.

Have a read of FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
HeadAche1

Post by HeadAche1 »

Ah okay, so I am good to go with 6.1. I had thought that 6.1 was no good for virtualization anymore until I googled how it was hardware virtualization.

I use this on quad core ssd AMD 2018 machine. It's still a pretty fast machine.