Ubuntu image freezing on install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lew42

Ubuntu image freezing on install

Post by lew42 »

Hello, I cannot get an iso image to install.
My machine: Auros Gigabyte X570 elite (yes I know, renound for bad virtualization) with SMT enabled in bios. All hypervisor functions are disabled in windows. I go through and set up the vm for linux/Ubuntu 64-bit, attach iso image, and start the install. It barely does anything, just a black screen with a spinning ring that stops spinning, then completely freezes while my CPU is working 10 degrees C hotter than normal. I'm not sure how to attach a file, but here is the last bit of the log. Thanks in advance, and I will happily provide any more information that you want.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu image freezing on install

Post by scottgus1 »

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
lew42

Post by lew42 »

OK, wow even though I do not have hyper-v enabled, I still got that message, so I will look into the elaborate solution you shared. Thank you!
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If you get that message, the Windows hypervisor is loaded. Lots of things apart from Hyper-V can cause that, as you will see when you read the reference you were given.
Bill
lew42

Post by lew42 »

Thanks everyone for your patience and help. This solution solved my issue, cheers take care y'all.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running!