mmpOS on Windows 10, need help

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OkeyPro

mmpOS on Windows 10, need help

Post by OkeyPro »

Hello!

I am trying to run mmpOS on windows. It is a linux based mining os. It comes as a .img file, and you need to Balena etch it on usb flash drive and then boot it on a computer. But when I try to use it with virtualbox, the usb flashdrive comes up as multiple different storages, so I cant select all of them. Thats becouse it has multiple partitions. Then I tried to boot it from the .img file. It just said that the file is corrupted.
Sorry for bad english, but does anyone have any idea how to run it?
I dont think it can be download if not registered, so I would give you the link from download button, but my account is just made so I cant post urls.
Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: mmpOS on Windows 10, need help

Post by scottgus1 »

You'll need to use the EFI boot environment to boot Virtualbox from USB (System settings, Motherboard, Enable EFI checkbox). If you can get the OS installer on an ISO for the VM's CD drive, then old-school BIOS can be used.

The data on the USB stick or the ISO has to be a bootable OS for Virtualbox to use it. I am not familiar with mmpOS's boot environment, nor educated enough from the details in your post, to say what to do next. Try the stick in a real PC, see if it does anything different.

Also see mmpOS's FAQ, there's a file from their website you need to put on the USB.
OkeyPro

Post by OkeyPro »

I have my computer booted from the usb flashdrive right now, and it works. Its just sad that I cant use my computer when i am running the os. Thats why im trying to boot the os on virtualbox. I will try the EFI thing now.
Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mmpOS is for number crunching management, right? Probably with heavy GPU reliance. Certainly requiring broad and intimate contact with the physical hardware.

I very much doubt you want to install this in a VM.