alternatives for VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
harald123
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 19 Tara

alternatives for VirtualBox

Post by harald123 »

Due to some reasons outside of my influence I am not allowed to use VirtualBox anymore on this machine (Windows 10 host ).
I am very pleased how it is working, but unfortunately this will come to an end.

Is there an alternative solution, which is also free and can use the .vdi from my vm? or maybe the equivalent .vhd or vmdk ?

Thank you in advance and kind regards!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: alternatives for VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

If the reason is that you intend to enable Hyper-v, then only Hyper-v clients will run well (ish).
harald123

Post by harald123 »

no, that is not the reason , but I will have a look how the mentioned tool can be installed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please let us know the reason, and we might be able to help.
harald123

Post by harald123 »

it is a licensing matter , which is not technical , it is imposed by the company
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If it is the issue of the personal use license, that only applies to the Extension Pack. VirtualBox itself and the Guest Additions are covered by GPLv3. So if you can live without USB in VMs (which is quite practical), then you need not be affected by the PUEL.

And returning to the original question, I do not know of any virtualization platform that is free but comes with anything other than a GPL license, or something more restrictive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

harald123 wrote:Is there an alternative solution
harald123 wrote:it is imposed by the company
This is not a problem you can solve. Your company has to solve it. If your work requires VMs and your company says you cannot use Virtualbox anymore, then you can't work anymore. Your boss and the powers that be have to provide you the tools that the company lawyers authorize.

You could web-search all day (hint*) and still not find anything the lawyers will be happy with. If your boss wants you to gather a list, web-search and gather a list. The company will have to decide which one to use.

FWIW your company is probably not using Home licenses for their Windows 10, and the next level up, Pro, and higher have a built-in hypervisor that we usually tell folks to turn off to get Virtualbox to run.

(* web-search is your friend: that's the best way to find the answer to your question rather than asking us what other hypervisor to use, as we tend to be somewhat Virtualbox-centric around here for some strange reason :lol: )
harald123

Post by harald123 »

thank you for the answers.
yes, the original question is looking for an alternative, as I am nt able to influence these decision, although t sounds unfair.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yeah, you can never tell what drives corporate... Some lawyer gets a bug in his/her ear and the whole world has to come down. :lol:
harald123

Post by harald123 »

good news is that oracle meanwhile agreed to allow VBox usage without extension pack, so , until licensing conditions change, it is possible to further use the software.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

harald123 wrote:good news is that oracle meanwhile agreed to allow VBox usage without extension pack
"Meanwhile agreed"? I already told you above that this was the case, i.e. that the VirtualBox app (sans extension pack) is licensed using GPLv3.

So it doesn't sound like Oracle agreed anything, they just referred you to info you already had.