I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Klapaucius§

I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc

Post by Klapaucius§ »

Hi, I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc, I don't know why. Monday i opened buy it didn't start, i check in the task manager and there were some process: VBglobal interface, interface and manager. it only show those 3 process. so I reinstalled Virtualbox, but it did the same, so i reinstalled the OS, and IT DID THE SAME. i've checked the bios for the virtualization but it's enabled, everything seem fine. i dont know what to do, thanks for the help.

This is my system:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
Ram: 16G
Moth: Asus Z170 pro gaming
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Attachments
taskVB2.png
taskVB2.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
Aclobes

Re: I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc

Post by Aclobes »

I AM ALSO HAVING THIS ISSUE!
So frustrating. I've been using virtualbox every week for the last two months and it suddenly decided to stop working.
Right now I have it booting but it's come to a near standstill. The console screen that loads all the commands as it boots is loading so slow that its completing ONE CHARACTER per minute.
It'll take this literal weeks to finish booting.

Does anyone have a fix for this??

-Adam
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Aclobes wrote: Does anyone have a fix for this??
Not likely, with no zipped VM log provided.

I will say that incredibly slow VMs on Windows hosts usually means you have Hyper-v installed and taking 99% of VM resources. This too should have been evident from a basic look around these forums.

See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I believe Klapaucius§'s problem is different than Aclobes's. Aclobes's VM is slow. Klapaucius§ cannot even get the main GUI to open. Unfortunately I don't know how to troubleshoot Klapaucius§'s problem.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Klapaucius§ cannot even get the main GUI to open. Unfortunately I don't know how to troubleshoot Klapaucius§'s problem.
If this interpretation of the initial post is correct, I'd suggest to ask for the global log files ...
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

Thanks guys I'm tryng to take out part of hardware but it's not working, i've searched everywere, I maybe need to try to change CPU but i'm not sure can make sense. maybe I'm gonna call an exorcist.
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

fth0 wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:Klapaucius§ cannot even get the main GUI to open. Unfortunately I don't know how to troubleshoot Klapaucius§'s problem.
If this interpretation of the initial post is correct, I'd suggest to ask for the global log files ...
sadly it is, sorry what do you mean by that?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0 wrote:I'd suggest to ask for the global log files ...
Good idea, let's try it!

Klapaucius§, Please go to C:\Users\{youraccountname} and zip the entire ".Virtualbox" folder. Post the zip like you did the screenshot above.
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

scottgus1 wrote:
fth0 wrote:I'd suggest to ask for the global log files ...
Good idea, let's try it!

Klapaucius§, Please go to C:\Users\{youraccountname} and zip the entire ".Virtualbox" folder. Post the zip like you did the screenshot above.
it should be this. thanks.
Attachments
.VirtualBox.zip
(671 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks!

There is only one file in the folder, a VboxSVC.log, and the last line is:
00:00:00.046863 usbLibGetDevices: Starting USB device enumeration
It seems that Virtualbox is having trouble enumerating the USB system.

First please uninstall Virtualbox, reboot, then reinstall by right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and choose Run as Administrator, even if you already are using an Admin account. See what happens.
Klapaucius§ wrote:i reinstalled the OS, and IT DID THE SAME.
Does this mean you have only the host OS and Virtualbox, no other software?
If Virtualbox does not run correctly, and you have other software installed, then try uninstalling any other software that uses the USB system or filters USB. Re-install Virtualbox with Run As Admin, and see what happens.
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

the only software I use that does something with usb it's the logitechGhub. i uninstall it but still don't work. when i deleted the OS I did use only OS and virtualbox one time and it didn't work. can it be some set up for the usb but in the bios?
Thnks
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

If the VBoxSVC.log file really is the only file in the .VirtualBox folder, then we're indeed hanging very early (neither the global configuration file VirtualBox.xml nor the VirtualBox Manager log file selectorwindow.log have been written to disk yet).

The VBoxSVC.log file shows that you're trying to run VirtualBox 5.2.44 on Windows 10 20H2, and the VirtualBox version predates the Windows version. @scottgus1: Is this combination known to work?

Besides investigating possible USB problems, the Windows Event Viewer might also be worth a look ...
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

I dont know why it show the 5.2.44 file, the current installed version is the 6.1.18. I've previously installed the 5.2.44 and even other version a couple of the 5's and a lot from the 6's.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Ok, that explains why it doesn't work now, because VirtualBox 6.1.18 is not expected to work together with VBoxSVC 5.2.44. I don't know if the following is the best way to clean up, but it should work IMO:

Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.18 and reboot. Install VirtualBox 5.2.44 and reboot. Uninstall VirtualBox 5.2.44 and reboot. Install VirtualBox 6.1.18 and reboot.
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

sorry for the silence but i was out for the easter.
i did this but it still not running.
in the .virtualbox folder there is nothing. I have found some error in the event viewer.
thanks for the help
err3.PNG
err3.PNG (55.03 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
err2.PNG
err2.PNG (63.59 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
err.PNG
err.PNG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 2980 times