I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I can't run Virtualbox anymore on my pc

Post by scottgus1 »

Please zip and post the .Virtualbox folder again. We need to know if this:
Klapaucius§ wrote:i did this
solved the problem fth0 pointed out:
fth0 wrote:VirtualBox 6.1.18 is not expected to work together with VBoxSVC 5.2.44
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Then again I wonder if the 6.1.18 vs 5.2.44 problem is really what's wrong.

fth0, I noticed that the date of the posted VboxSVC.log from 5.2.44, is July 9, 2020, rather than just a few days ago. Makes me wonder if this install of 6.1.18 is not actually even making a log?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:fth0, I noticed that the date of the posted VboxSVC.log from 5.2.44, is July 9, 2020, rather than just a few days ago. Makes me wonder if this install of 6.1.18 is not actually even making a log?
No. You're probably just confusing the build date of VBoxSVC.exe (1st log message) with the VBoxSVC.log date (2nd log message).
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Klapaucius§ wrote:I have found some error in the event viewer.
The warning message from the RestartManager gives an interesting clue: "Application SID does not match Conductor SID". AFAIK, this message implies a conflict between two different user accounts being used. Perhaps @BillG can shed more light on the deeper meaning on that.

Did you use more than one user account on your Windows host at any time, or install VirtualBox under multiple user accounts?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0 wrote:You're probably just confusing the build date of VBoxSVC.exe (1st log message) with the VBoxSVC.log date (2nd log message).
Good point, I see that now. The log was made on March 26, 2021, a few days before Klapaucius§' first post and some 10 days before the posted .Virtualbox folder zip. I think that 6.1.18 has not ever got off the ground in K's PC, to even get the VboxSVC going.

Re "Application SID does not match Conductor SID", I found several results discussing MSI in context of this problem, which is the installer system, not Virtualbox itself. Does MSI get involved when the normal Virtualbox application is started? I haven't ever read that it does, only when Virtualbox is being installed. Almost as if the install is still being processed, rather than Virtualbox itself running. Of course I'm probably misunderstanding it.

Sounds to me like the whole Virtualbox installation is completely bunged on Klapaucius§' computer, and a complete purge is necessary, perhaps with a 3rd-party uninstaller program. A complete PC disk image for backup and restore purposes would be very much in order, if I were to try the uninstaller app.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Re "Application SID does not match Conductor SID", I found several results discussing MSI in context of this problem, which is the installer system, not Virtualbox itself. Does MSI get involved when the normal Virtualbox application is started? I haven't ever read that it does, only when Virtualbox is being installed. Almost as if the install is still being processed, rather than Virtualbox itself running. Of course I'm probably misunderstanding it.
You might be close this time. ;)

I don't know much about this either, but I could speculate a bit as follows: Let's assume that the VBoxSVC is already running, started by a (possibly elevated) user A (e.g. System via Task Scheduler, AutoStart, whatnot?). Then (elevated) user C installs a new VirtualBox version. At the end of the installation, RestartManager is triggered, whose task is to try and replace running software components, to avoid an otherwise necessary reboot. RestartManager wants to stop the running VBoxSVC and start the new VBoxSVC, but it recognizes that A != C (Application SID != Conductor SID), leading to the warning in the Windows Event Log. But I would expect this situation to be resolved after the next Windows reboot ...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting! This now sparks a vague idea I've seen this before, where someone had a Virtualbox install that failed to open and it was because there was a VM set to auto-start.

Klapaucius§, have you or someone else possibly used Virtualbox on another account and set up an auto-start VM?
Klapaucius§

Post by Klapaucius§ »

Hi guys, sorry i wasn't in googd health the last week, but now i've recovered.

scottgus1 wrote:Interesting! This now sparks a vague idea I've seen this before, where someone had a Virtualbox install that failed to open and it was because there was a VM set to auto-start.

Klapaucius§, have you or someone else possibly used Virtualbox on another account and set up an auto-start VM?

That's not a possibility, i'm the only using visrtualbox on this pc and i do not need autostart on VM's.

thanks for the help.