Virtual Machine crash while Copy text on Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
clstrife

Virtual Machine crash while Copy text on Host

Post by clstrife »

I am seeing this with clipboard sharing DISABLED.

I get a crash every 2-3 days doing a copy from Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I copy a column of text from an excel spreadsheet to paste into another program. When I do the copy, I may get:

VBoxSharedClipboardClass-8480: VirtualBoxVM.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFCC3BE2B32 referenced memory at 0x000000000000000. The memory could not be written.

Then the VM crashes. I always have 2 Windows 10 64bit guests running at that time. Sometimes 1 will crash, sometimes both.

Host machine is Windows 10 64bit. Virtualbox is newest at 6.1.18 r142142.

I have attached the vm guest log. The local time of the machine at the crash was 3:42AM, but in the log, it's 12:42.29 where you can see "caught an exception on thread", dumps a bunch of stuff, then VM dies.

Thanks
Attachments
vbox_crash.jpg
vbox_crash.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
VBox.zip
(29.09 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
clstrife

Re: Virtual Machine crash while Copy text on Host

Post by clstrife »

Went back to 5.2.44 and haven't had a problem in over a week. Easiest solution for anyone who has the same problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows Virtualbox hardening troubles with Dexpot on your host OS, right before the clipboard crash. It could be there is an incompatibility between the two. FWIW Windows 10 has virtual desktops too (I think... my tablet has them but I never use them). You might be able to roll without Dexpot.

FWIW2 5.2.x will eventually not work on Windows 10, though when that hits is not known.
clstrife

Post by clstrife »

Ah, I never thought of Dexpot. Unfortunately, Dexpot has a few features that make it non-replaceable. I can read the log file to detect when a desktop change occurs, it has options to whitelist/blacklist monitors and programs.

I'll test v6 every few months to see if it gets fixed, but I'm satisfied with just having it work.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Very good! Thanks for reporting back, hope 5.2.44 continues to work for you.
clstrife

Post by clstrife »

scottgus1 wrote:The log shows Virtualbox hardening troubles with Dexpot on your host OS, right before the clipboard crash. It could be there is an incompatibility between the two. FWIW Windows 10 has virtual desktops too (I think... my tablet has them but I never use them). You might be able to roll without Dexpot.

FWIW2 5.2.x will eventually not work on Windows 10, though when that hits is not known.
I updated to the newest VB (as of this post time) and it crashed again with same error, but Dexpot was not running at all. So, it's something else. I forgot to grab the log, but will do so next time as I was urgently getting things back up and running after.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hardening troubles don't require a "program" to be running. Only that the background service of the program is running and attempting to inject itself into Virtualbox. The log will confirm what is causing the trouble.