Host-only adapter disappeared over night

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Host-only adapter disappeared over night

Post by fth0 »

JoeDiesel wrote:Antivirus etc. is Comodo, but I can see that another user here tried completely uninstalling it (I only disabled it) with no luck, so I´ll skip that step.
To give you an alternative point of view, uninstalling AV software solved many VirtualBox issues for other users, but only disabling it rarely did.

In general, I don't see many similarities between your issue and the topic of this thread. I'd suggest to create your own topic, reproducing your problem and providing a zipped VBox.log file. You can also look in the global configuration folder (C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox) for the general log files.

Edit:
Maybe I was wrong. The OP mentioned Genymotion now for the first time.
Last edited by fth0 on 20. Apr 2021, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
pmaniW

Post by pmaniW »

I finally solved it for me. It was Comodo after all.

I found it suspicious that 3 people in this thread seem to be using it, so I tried again and uninstalled it more thoroughly. Here are the steps I took:
  • I backed up my Comodo settings (General Setttings > Configuration > Export), mainly for HIPS.
  • I disabled my internet connection by disconnecting the Ethernet cable.
  • I uninstalled Comodo using the "I want to permanently remove it" option.
  • I rebooted Windows. My browser tried to open a Comodo website, so I checked for startup processes/services (w/ CCleaner), disabled these and rebooted again.
  • I removed old VirtualBox traces (preferences, registry, caches and certificates, as described in the OP), then rebooted Windows again.
  • I installed VirtualBox 6.1.18 in the default location while unchecking "Host-Only Networking", then rebooted Windows again.
  • I opened the VirtualBox GUI and created a host-only adapter (File > Host Network Manager > Create). It went smoothly and Device Manager instantly displayed the adapter as functional.
  • I rebooted Windows again, it still showed as working.
  • I restored my old VirtualBox settings (Users\Username\.VirtualBox folder) and it still worked.
  • I reconnected my ethernet cable and reinstalled Comodo, then restored its settings.
  • I rebooted Windows again, the adapter still showed as functional. Even creating new ones worked without issues now.
  • I reinstalled Genymotion (Android emulator which I use for the VMs I had issues with). During installation it created two new host-only adapters (which it never did before). Still, after restoring my settings there, everything worked without issues.
Apparently I half-assed the Comodo uninstall last time. I would guess the extra reboot steps were the crucial change. Or maybe I used the wrong uninstall option for Comodo the first time ("I want to reinstall it", which also removed it, but maybe not completely?). I can't confirm if any of the VirtualBox based steps were necessary, I just wanted to cover all bases in one go and this sequence of actions did the job.

In the end I feel kind of dumb for how basic the solution was in the end. I simply did not expect Comodo to still interfere in some capacity while it was completely disabled (not in autostart, reboot, no obvious process running).

Thanks everyone for the help! I hope this solution works for you, too.
Th3On3

Post by Th3On3 »

fth0 wrote:
Th3On3 wrote:Just to clarify that i tested all the points of the author first post.
FWIW, the suggested Network reset is supposed to be stronger than anything the OP mentioned in their initial post, but easier than a full Windows installation.

So-called security software (e.g. AV software) is always a good candidate for creating problems. For a test, you could uninstall that and reboot, then install the VirtualBox network drivers, test VirtualBox, and re-install the security software later on if necessary.
pmaniW wrote:I finally solved it for me. It was Comodo after all.

I found it suspicious that 3 people in this thread seem to be using it, so I tried again and uninstalled it more thoroughly. Here are the steps I took:
  • I backed up my Comodo settings (General Setttings > Configuration > Export), mainly for HIPS.
  • I rebooted Windows. My browser tried to open a Comodo website, so I checked for startup processes/services (w/ CCleaner), disabled these and rebooted again.
  • I removed old VirtualBox traces (preferences, registry, caches and certificates, as described in the OP), then rebooted Windows again.
  • I installed VirtualBox 6.1.18 in the default location while unchecking "Host-Only Networking", then rebooted Windows again.
  • I opened the VirtualBox GUI and created a host-only adapter (File > Host Network Manager > Create). It went smoothly and Device Manager instantly displayed the adapter as functional.
  • I restored my old VirtualBox settings (Users\Username\.VirtualBox folder) and it still worked.
  • I reconnected my ethernet cable and reinstalled Comodo, then restored its settings.
  • I rebooted Windows again, the adapter still showed as functional. Even creating new ones worked without issues now.
  • I reinstalled Genymotion (Android emulator which I use for the VMs I had issues with). During installation it created two new host-only adapters (which it never did before). Still, after restoring my settings there, everything worked without issues.
Apparently I half-assed the Comodo uninstall last time. I would guess the extra reboot steps were the crucial change. Or maybe I used the wrong uninstall option for Comodo the first time ("I want to reinstall it", which also removed it, but maybe not completely?). I can't confirm if any of the VirtualBox based steps were necessary, I just wanted to cover all bases in one go and this sequence of actions did the job.

In the end I feel kind of dumb for how basic the solution was in the end. I simply did not expect Comodo to still interfere in some capacity while it was completely disabled (not in autostart, reboot, no obvious process running).

Hi, that was my suspicion too, as you can see on my 3rd post:
Th3On3 wrote:It is important that we have feedback of the users that are affected by this issue. I think there are alot of people that do not manifest himselfs about this issue.

pmaniW: I forget to mention that strangely and maybe could it be the culprit, i have comodo fw / avira av free editions on both computers.

JoeDiesel: What is your system ? (Windows version, AV software if any, FW software if any)

Thank you.
I will try to remove Comodo at the weekend on my second laptop, then i will give my feedback.

Thank you.
JoeDiesel

Post by JoeDiesel »

pmaniW wrote:I finally solved it for me. It was Comodo after all.

Fantastic, thank you! I will follow your steps soon as well, but I got one question: After all got up and running again, did you try reinstalling Comodo? The way I understand it, it´s only a problem to have it installed while creating the host-only interface.
pmaniW

Post by pmaniW »

JoeDiesel wrote: Fantastic, thank you! I will follow your steps soon as well, but I got one question: After all got up and running again, did you try reinstalling Comodo? The way I understand it, it´s only a problem to have it installed while creating the host-only interface.
In the second to last step I wrote that I reinstalled Comodo. So yes, it worked even after installing Comodo again.
Weirdly enough I can even create new host-only adapters without any issues now, even though Comodo is running. It's still a mystery to me why the adapter disappeared in the first place as well.
JoeDiesel

Post by JoeDiesel »

pmaniW wrote:
JoeDiesel wrote: Fantastic, thank you! I will follow your steps soon as well, but I got one question: After all got up and running again, did you try reinstalling Comodo? The way I understand it, it´s only a problem to have it installed while creating the host-only interface.
In the second to last step I wrote that I reinstalled Comodo. So yes, it worked even after installing Comodo again.
Weirdly enough I can even create new host-only adapters without any issues now, even though Comodo is running. It's still a mystery to me why the adapter disappeared in the first place as well.
Sorry, thought I had thorougly checked your list, so I´ll try the same. Perhaps it´s a component of virtualbox that needs comodo to not be there, for allowing future creation of adapters - comodo present or not.

Btw, do I really need to unplug the ethernet cable? I´m asking because most of the time I´m sitting two floors below where my Windows machine is located, accessing it from a thin client via RDP.
pmaniW

Post by pmaniW »

JoeDiesel wrote: Btw, do I really need to unplug the ethernet cable? I´m asking because most of the time I´m sitting two floors below where my Windows machine is located, accessing it from a thin client via RDP.
I have no idea. I didn't bother to test it, I was just happy that everything worked again and documented the steps I took.
It might very well work without unpluging it. You could try just uninstalling Comodo -> Reboot -> Installing Virtualbox -> Reboot -> Installing Comodo again.
In theory that SHOULD be enough.
Th3On3

Post by Th3On3 »

PROBLEM SOLVED.

The problem was COMODO FW. I uninstalled virtualbox -> reboot -> removed completely COMODO FW -> reboot -> installed last virtualbox 6.1.22 (Windows host) -> reboot -> reinstalled COMODO FW.

Now i can add / remove hostonly adapters without problems, even with COMODO FW installed and running.

Thank you all.