Driver Realtek PCle GBE Family

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bagiu

Driver Realtek PCle GBE Family

Post by bagiu »

Hello everybody
I have installed in Win 10 (Ver 10.0.19042.867) new VM 16.1.18 r142142 (Qt5.6.2) and after update driver for LAN Realtek PCle GBE family from version 9.1.410.2015 to version 10.1.505.2015.
Unfortunately this latest version is not compatible with the Win7 host of VirtualBox!
Are you aware of this problem?
How is it possible to solve?
Thank you
Giulio
Attachments
Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (70.91 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Driver Realtek PCle GBE Family

Post by mpack »

Your picture shows a Windows 7 GUEST, not a Windows 7 HOST. The host is your physical PC.

I am typing this right now on a Windows 10 host, with a "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" network adapter using Ethernet. It works just fine with VirtualBox 6.1.18 and all of my VMs, one of which is Windows 7 Pro (64bit).

Continued discussion will require a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

And please be more specific what your actual problem is? I.e. please describe the problem, not your diagnosis of the cause.

One thing I can see: you seem to be bridging to the host networking card, AND you have a host-only network connection. I can't think of a good reason for doing that.
bagiu

Post by bagiu »

I apologize for reversing roles
What drivers are you using for your realtek?
With the new version 10.1 .... the LAN no longer works I had to downgrade to 9.1 ....!?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

bagiu wrote: What drivers are you using for your realtek?
I'm using whatever drivers Windows 10 put there.
bagiu

Post by bagiu »

Here is the log
Attachments
INT-2021-03-12-10-02-22.zip
(36.56 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
bagiu

Post by bagiu »

mpack wrote:
bagiu wrote: What drivers are you using for your realtek?
I'm using whatever drivers Windows 10 put there.
Yesterday Win10 Update asked me to update the drivers for the LAN card, passing from version 9 to 10 but with this last the LAN in the VM no longer works!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It is quite common for a bridged networking connection to be upset by Windows update - the VirtualBox driver in the stack gets misplaced during the Windows update. For some reason this is never a problem for me, perhaps it only affects those who habitually suspend (save state) VMs instead of shutting them down.

The cure should be simple: shut down the VM properly, then change the bridged adapter to NAT, and then back to bridged. That should force renewal of the links.

And in your case I would also disable that host-only card.

Your VM settings look pretty good otherwise.
bagiu

Post by bagiu »

Yes, I had a problem with the restart of the VM, improperly closed, after upgrading the LAN card driver, but exceeded this problem, the question remains!
If I start the VM with the driver v. 9 ... The LAN works if you start with the driver v. 10 ... The LAN does not work. So I think this version of the Realtek driver is currently incompatible with VirtualBox.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The OP does not seem to grasp how networking operates in a vm. The network card in the host and its driver has no relation to the network card in the guest and its driver. The vm has its own (emulated) network card and this has its own driver which is updated as required by the OS (Windows 7 in this case), just as the network driver in the host is upgraded by its OS (Windows 10 in this case).

Why are you still fiddling about with the drivers in the host OS? Leave it at version 10 and do the switch mpack suggested to renew your link for the bridged adapter.
Bill
bagiu

Post by bagiu »

I have to use a network connection to Bridge as within the VM I use a VPN that otherwise does not activate.
However for now I downgraded the Diver of the Host Win 10 and everything works and I can work in Smart. Probably not the only one to have the problem and in later versions I imagine can be solved.
Thank you
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That Realtek card is very popular, and version 10 of the driver is hardly new! I expect that we would have heard long ago if t caused any problems with VIrtualBox.
Realtek.PNG
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

And mine. Looks like I'm a bit behind on version numbers, but clicking on "Update driver" gives me "best driver is already installed". I imagine there are multiple versions of the chip.

As Bill says, I would stop worrying about the host driver - let Windows 10 do that worrying for you. Concentrate on fixing the broken configuration.
Attachments
Realtek_mpack.PNG
Realtek_mpack.PNG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Another thing you can check is that the VirtualBox bridged adapter filter is still attached to your card. Go to <start button>|Settings|Network & Internet|Change adapter options and then right click your adapter and select "Properties". Make sure the list of drivers includes the VirtualBox bridged networking driver, and that the checkbox is ticked.

Or just reinstalling VirtualBox probably would fix it too.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.6 KiB) Viewed 4336 times