Virtualization issues after upgrading to 6.1.*

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Rolly22

Virtualization issues after upgrading to 6.1.*

Post by Rolly22 »

Hi all. I upgarded from 6.0.* to 6.1.* yesterday and got the dreaded "VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes" for my virtual machines which ran perfectly well on 6.0. I tried the things in the FAQ (which I am not allowed to link to because this is my first post :-)) without success. I definitley ensured that VT-x is in fact turned on in BIOS and that hypervisorlaunchtype is turned off. I solved the issue for the time being by downgrading to 6.0.* again (The devs made that really easy, thanks for that!), but would prefer a solution where I can stay up to date. Is there any possibility to actually identify the source of this error? And can I install two versions of VirtualBox on the system (Win10 pro, all updates installed) so that I do not have to reinstall if I want to switch versions?

thanks in advance, Christian
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Virtualization issues after upgrading to 6.1.*

Post by BillG »

No. There is no way to have two versions of VirtualBox installed at the same time.

If you have followed the instructions properly, I cannot see how you could possibly still have that error. See this discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102088
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

In addition to Bill's thoughts, either VT-x is really still off, or Hyper-V is re-enabling. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Rolly22

Post by Rolly22 »

Thanks for your input. With the systeminfo.exe i saw that vt-x was indeed not available. Looking into BIOS again I realized that there are indeed two entries for virtualization, one (that I saw before) said vt-x is available, but the other (which I missed) was the actual setting to enable the virtualization features. I relized that when reading some other stuff I found in the internet, because others had equally bad eyes :-). It might be good to extend the FAQ article regarding that. Now I was able to install a 64bit Linux and will try the upgrade to 6.1 again this weekend.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If it's one thing that can be said about BIOSes, the interfaces are not standardized.... Would be nice if they were.
Rolly22

Post by Rolly22 »

scottgus1 wrote:If it's one thing that can be said about BIOSes, the interfaces are not standardized.... Would be nice if they were.
I know, but the issue that you have to really look to take the correct option is the same on most motherboards, this is why it was mentioned in multiple internet posts i stumbled upon.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Do you really expect the FAQ to cover every weird way a motherboard BIOS progammer can dream up to make our lives harder?
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Another way to think of it: if we tried to say in the tutorial where every motherboard shows the VT-X or AMD-V/SVM switch, there's so many motherboards, new ones every day, that's an awful deep rabbit hole to go down...

Much easier to "consult the motherboard or computer manufacturer's instructions to find the appropriate switch".

(Of course if you wanted to start something like that list you'd be free to do so, and we'd put the topic in the Tutorials for as long as you'd like to keep it up.)