Can't install Windows 20H2 update due to virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sciences

Can't install Windows 20H2 update due to virtualbox

Post by Sciences »

Hello everyone,

like the title says I can't install the Windows 20H2 Update (I know I'm late for this but i forgot i turned automatic updates off) because I have Virtualbox installed. When I try to update Windows it tells me I need to uninstall Virtualbox. I tried to update to the newest version today but I still can't update Windows. Is there a simple solution for this? Is Virtualbox running on the Windows 20H2 Update or do I need to skip the update? I need Virtualbox for a Ubuntu Guest for my Masterthesis.

Any Help is appreciated. I already tried Google, Reddit and searched the forum but no one seemed to have the same problem as I did (most people just wanted to uninstall Virtualbox but I still need it and I'm afraid it won't work on the new version or I'd loose my data from the Ubuntu guest)

Best regards,

Nils
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Can't install Windows 20H2 update due to virtualbox

Post by BillG »

I am not surprised. I have updated several machines to 20H2 with VirtualBox installed and I have never seen this message nor have I had any problems with VirtualBox running in 20H2 on the host PC.

You could always uninstall VirtualBox, run the update then reinstall VirtualBox. It only takes a few minutes and you vms would not be affected, although I would make sure that any vm is properly shutdown, not paused or in a saved state.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't install Windows 20H2 update due to virtualbox

Post by mpack »

A screenshot of the warning dialog would not hurt either.

(from a PC running W10Pro 20H2, very happily running VirtualBox).

I suspect that either this report is entirely in error, or the OP has selected a feature in Win10 that requires Hyper-v, hence Win10 is warning about potential incompatibility with a popular third party VM platform: but I'd expect it to be a warning, not a blocker.