My Virtualbox\Windows XP vanished

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mike Deosino

My Virtualbox\Windows XP vanished

Post by Mike Deosino »

Hello All, I've installed a Virtualbox/Windows XP machine on my PC (Windows 10). Maybe following a Windows 10's update the Virtual XP vanished. Windows 10 is not showing it in network browser and I can no more access to XP files. Thank you in advance for any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: My Virtualbox\Windows XP vanished

Post by scottgus1 »

Mike Deosino wrote:Virtual XP vanished
Does this mean the VM has totally disappeared, as in not in Virtualbox anymore?

Or is it still there but 10 can't access the XP files?
Mike Deosino wrote:Windows 10 is not showing it in network browser and I can no more access to XP files.
Because the second one isn't the first one.

Also 10 turns off file sharing protocol SMB1 by default to prevent WannaCry-like viruses. XP only has SMB1, so 10 typically can't see XP's shared files. Which fits with this:
Mike Deosino wrote:Maybe following a Windows 10's update
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

scottgus1 wrote:
Mike Deosino wrote:Virtual XP vanished
Does this mean the VM has totally disappeared, as in not in Virtualbox anymore?

Or is it still there but 10 can't access the XP files?
I'm sorry I was not clear. The machine is still in Virtualbox but I cannot see it in network then I can't access to XP files.
scottgus1 wrote:Also 10 turns off file sharing protocol SMB1 by default to prevent WannaCry-like viruses. XP only has SMB1, so 10 typically can't see XP's shared files. Which fits with this:
I understand. This means I can say goodbye to my old XP hardware :-(
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

Wait a minute.......but in my network I have another little asus eeepc with XP and I can access to its files with my windows 10 pc (after 10's last update).
This means it's a Virtualbox problem not XP's.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And you think there are only two possible causes?

Download a network scanner such as Advanced IP Scanner and run it and see what it can find on the network.

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Mike Deosino wrote:I can access to its files with my windows 10 pc (after 10's last update).
There is always a possibility, however not likely for two reasons:

10 not being able to see XP's shared folders is a known side effect of WannaCry and is caused by 10's turning off SMB1. Web-search how to turn SMB1 back on and check your 10's that can and cannot see XP's shared folders for this setting.

Also, Virtualbox does not have any way to turn off a particular level of shared folders. The only thing Virtualbox could do is change the network type altogether.

A Windows update can turn off SMB1, and it can interfere with Virtualbox's Host-Only network.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (If you have a Windows host, please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

You need to remember that XP is very old and does not use the same file sharing system as later Windows. Vista through to Windows 10 use the new system (network discovery). XP uses the same system as Windows 2000 and earlier (which depends on SMB1 and the computer browser service). Vista through to Windows 7 can still cope with the old system as well, but from Windows 8 it gets harder and with Windows 10 it simply won't work with the default settings (as Scott has already described). So even if you can see your Windows XP in the network display, you cannot access the files.

I can always see my XP vm (because I have a working computer browser service on my network), but I cannot access its files from Windows 10 (because I refuse to enable SMB1. It is just too vulnerable).

A good network scanner will show you every device on your network. It does not depend on any Windows programs.
IPscanner.PNG
192.168.1.1 is the network drive on my router.
192.168.1.16 is my Internet radio.
192.168.21 is my mobile phone.

The other devices are my physical and virtual machines.
Network.PNG
Bill
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

scottgus1 wrote:
Mike Deosino wrote:I can access to its files with my windows 10 pc (after 10's last update).
There is always a possibility, however not likely for two reasons:

10 not being able to see XP's shared folders is a known side effect of WannaCry and is caused by 10's turning off SMB1. Web-search how to turn SMB1 back on and check your 10's that can and cannot see XP's shared folders for this setting.
Last week I've already turned on SMB1 but I cannot see XP's shared folders anyway :?:
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

BillG wrote:And you think there are only two possible causes?

Download a network scanner such as Advanced IP Scanner and run it and see what it can find on the network.

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/
Thank you, I will try asap
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

I runned advanced ip scanner but it has not detected the Virtual XP :oops:
It has detected the router, my wife's PC and my 10 twice :?:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (If you have a Windows host, please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

Then I would say that, if your Windows XP is running, it is definitely not connecting to your network. I suggest you send us your .vbox file as Scott requested earlier.
Bill
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

Hope this help. Thank you
Attachments
Windows XP.zip
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You are apparently Bridging to a Wi-Fi adapter:
the .vbox file wrote:<BridgedInterface name="Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter"/>
Bridged does not always work over Wi-Fi, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter.

Though the Bridged connection was apparently working before, this:
could indicate a reason why Bridged might no longer be working, note the part in the link above about Wi-fi adapter drivers. A new update might mean new drivers.

Try setting the XP VM OS's Intel PRO/1000 T Server ethernet adapter to static IP address within the IP address range your physical network hands out.

If that does not work, change the Virtualbox network type to Host-Only, undo the static IP address you set above, and let the XP VM get its IP address from the Host-Only network. Then access XP via the IP address you see on the XP VM OS's Intel PRO/1000 T Server ethernet adapter.
Mike Deosino

Post by Mike Deosino »

scottgus1 wrote:You are apparently Bridging to a Wi-Fi adapter:
the .vbox file wrote:<BridgedInterface name="Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter"/>
scottgus1 wrote:Bridged does not always work over Wi-Fi
I have a cable network not wi-fi. Maybe I have to select the other option "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"