Issues while running Ubuntu via Oracle VM VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
aac

Issues while running Ubuntu via Oracle VM VirtualBox

Post by aac »

Dear manager,

I encountered an issue while processing the Ubuntu via the Oracle VM VirtualBox manager. and thus hope to have some advice/ideas from you.

When I clicked on the "start" button on the software, I received the following error messages:
"The instruction at 0x0000000000000000 referenced memory at 0x000000000000000. The memory could not be written."
and
--------------------------------------
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 18.04.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
-------------------------------------

I have looked up some other related topics on the website. One suggested to discard the previous saved state and rerun it. However, it did not work in this case.

Here I attached a screenshot while running the Ubuntu and also the log files. It is greatly appreciated if you have any advice/suggestion on it.

*note:
-- This error haven't happened until today. Prior to today, I was able to successfully run the Ubuntu.
-- The system status mark of Ubuntu shown on the Oracle VM VirtualBox manager currently is the "red color". (Previously it was a "green color" mark before I got the error messages.)
-- I did similar things on the last time I logged in. no installing any software, no running any unknown websites.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
AAC
Attachments
vitrual-box.tar.gz
screenshot and log files
(185.59 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issues while running Ubuntu via Oracle VM VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

Your VM had a hardening glitch on what appears to be your host graphics driver:
00:00:02.953798 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_X509_CPV_UNKNOWN_CRITICAL_EXTENSION fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_16d4dd7ddc992f6a\igdgmm64.dll: Node #2 has an unknown critical extension: 2.5.29.14:
Your Virtualbox version is 5.2.44. The log does not run far enough to show if 3D acceleration is enabled. Host graphics drivers are only used for running the VM if 3D acceleration is enabled in the VM's Display settings. Perhaps a more up-to0date Virtualbox would give a longer log or might get past the hardening problem.

Additionally, you have McAfee security software installed, which is unnecessary on Windows 10 PCs, which has built-in AV & firewall that work quite well and don't fight Windows or Virtualbox.
aac

Post by aac »

After I updated with the latest version of VM, the issue was solved!
Many thanks for your suggestions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.