Windows (host) crashes when I start the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dynio

Windows (host) crashes when I start the virtual machine

Post by Dynio »

Hi, I have been facing a problem lately, which prevented me from running a virtual machine. My host crashes when I start this machine, more specifically on the VirtualBox logo screen, 5 seconds and the system crashes. The error code KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED was contained in the BSOD. I tried to figure out how to fix it, to no avail. I am adding the VBox file, i.e. the log, it may be helpful. I will add that the machine with the problem (although it occurs on all) is Windows XP. Previously, there were no problems with this, VB works as it should.
Attachments
VBox.log
(80.77 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows (host) crashes when I start the virtual machine

Post by mpack »

Why does the VM have a "Win7 Ultimate 64bit" ISO in the drive?

Why is the VM running from drive G, and what kind of drive is that? (network share? USB2 flash? USB 3.x SSD?).

VirtualBox is a normal application, nothing special, it does nothing that can cause a host crash. It does however touch many more resources than a typical app, so if any of those resources are suspect, e.g. a bad RAM, buggy host hardware driver, then VirtualBox is more likely than most to trip over it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox 6.1.14 and 3D acceleration is enabled for XP. 3D acceleration no longer works for XP in any 6.1.x. I don't know if this is the cause of the host BSOD.

Did the Windows 10 host do any major updates lately?
Dynio

Post by Dynio »

mpack wrote:Why does the VM have a "Win7 Ultimate 64bit" ISO in the drive?

Why is the VM running from drive G, and what kind of drive is that? (network share? USB2 flash? USB 3.x SSD?).

VirtualBox is a normal application, nothing special, it does nothing that can cause a host crash. It does however touch many more resources than a typical app, so if any of those resources are suspect, e.g. a bad RAM, buggy host hardware driver, then VirtualBox is more likely than most to trip over it.
1. I don't remember exactly why, but I think I wanted to try to upgrade the machine out of curiosity.
2. I have a USB 3.0 SSD drive marked as G:.
Dynio

Post by Dynio »

scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox 6.1.14 and 3D acceleration is enabled for XP. 3D acceleration no longer works for XP in any 6.1.x. I don't know if this is the cause of the host BSOD.

Did the Windows 10 host do any major updates lately?

After turning off the 3D graphics acceleration and turning the machine back on, the problem persists, but thanks for the help :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Virtualbox. When you go to reinstall, right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator, even if yo are already in an Admin account.