Strange behavior with packets not reaching guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RoyG

Re: Strange behavior with packets not reaching guest

Post by RoyG »

RoyG wrote:I'm going to have my IT staff set up another Windows PC host with VirtualBox and an Ubuntu VM, and see what happens on that machine too.
Well it turns out that a VM on another PC in the same network doesn't have this problem. So it must be something wrong with my VirtualBox (seems unlikely) or Windows installation. Unfortunately I don't even know where to start looking. I'll have to ask on a Windows forum or something I suppose.

Thanks again for all your help.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

RoyG wrote:Unfortunately I don't even know where to start looking.
Tip: Search for a method to completely clean up the Windows networking components from the Windows registry. Then uninstall VirtualBox, clean up, and reinstall VirtualBox.
RoyG

Post by RoyG »

fth0 wrote:
RoyG wrote:Unfortunately I don't even know where to start looking.
Tip: Search for a method to completely clean up the Windows networking components from the Windows registry. Then uninstall VirtualBox, clean up, and reinstall VirtualBox.
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I finally have moved my whole setup to the second PC which I reported above did not have this problem. However, when I put my account and my VMs on this new PC, nothing works and I have the same problems as before. Even a newly created VM has the same problem.

Can you give some advice on where I might find such a method to completely clean up the Windows networking components? I tried using the Network Reset in Windows settings but it had no appreciable effect. I really am at a loss as to what to do next.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

RoyG wrote:Can you give some advice on where I might find such a method to completely clean up the Windows networking components? I tried using the Network Reset in Windows settings but it had no appreciable effect.
This Network reset would have been my advice, too. Anything else I'd have to Google myself.

Another advice would have been to build up your new PC step by step and check for the problem after each step, to possibly discover the crucial step. Good candidates are so-called security softwares.
RoyG

Post by RoyG »

It turns out that the duplicated packets were caused by having a product called Wingate (https://www.wingate.com/) installed on the host. Installing this software on a new box caused the behavior with duplicated packets, but not with the changing of the MAC address. I still don't know why the MAC address was changed in the duplicated packets, but removing the Wingate software caused them to disappear.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting back!

Just for the curious: Was WinGate previously deliberately installed, or part of the Sobig.F worm?
RoyG

Post by RoyG »

fth0 wrote:Thanks for reporting back!

Just for the curious: Was WinGate previously deliberately installed, or part of the Sobig.F worm?
I installed it deliberately in order to have a proxy server to test my (other) software with. Nothing to do with VirtualBox or VMs.

Thanks for all your time & help.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're welcome!