Error booting [Not Hyper-V CPUID signature]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Cigala

Error booting [Not Hyper-V CPUID signature]

Post by Cigala »

Hi all!

This is my first post, so please be kind if I mess up :D

I'm trying to get rid of VMWare due to licensing issues and I was thinking of switching to VirtualBox.

The environment is as follows:
  1. Host machine is a 1 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 64bits operating system.
  2. A Windows 10 Pro 64bits operating system has been virtualised on it with VMWare.
What I want now is to virtualise a Windows XP operating system on the virtualised Windows 10. When I boot it with VirtualBox 6.1, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Not Hyper-V CPUID signature: 0x61774d56 0x4d566572 0x65726177 (expected 0x726363694d 0x666f736f 0x76482074) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005).
Component: 
ConsoleWrap
Interface: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
On a side note, I have to say with the latest versions of VMWare I get the same bug. I have to go to Player 7.0 to get it to work.

Any help?

Thank you very much.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error booting [Not Hyper-V CPUID signature]

Post by scottgus1 »

A VM log on the host OS is needed to see if your host is set up for Virtualbox, and if nested virtualization will fly on your CPU.

Start the host's Windows 10 VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Get logged into the VM's desktop, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A Windows 10 Pro 64bits operating system has been virtualised on it with VMWare.
You need to enable nested VT-x in VMWare, note however that nesting inside VMWare is not a supported combo: it may or may not work.
Cigala

Post by Cigala »

I upload the log file
Attachments
VBox.zip
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Something is seriously getting in the way of the host's VT-x hardware virtualization.
00:00:03.687515 OS Product: Windows 10
00:00:03.687517 OS Release: 10.0.19045
00:00:03.687517 OS Service Pack:
00:00:03.866643 DMI Product Name: VMware7,1
Did you get the host's VM log or the log inside the VMware VM?
scottgus1 wrote:A VM log on the host OS is needed ...
Start the host's Windows 10 VM...
Cigala wrote:I'm trying to get rid of VMWare due to licensing issues and I was thinking of switching to VirtualBox.
I gathered from this that you were uninstalling VMware and switching to Virtualbox on the host. Note that if you are keeping VMware on the host and intend to run Virtualbox inside the VMware VM, then as Mpack said above, this is an unsupported setup. Host > Vmware > Virtualbox may not work. Host > Virtualbox > Virtualbox might work better.

Also note Mpack's suggestion about nested VT-x in VMware.
Cigala

Post by Cigala »

scottgus1 wrote:Something is seriously getting in the way of the host's VT-x hardware virtualization.
00:00:03.687515 OS Product: Windows 10
00:00:03.687517 OS Release: 10.0.19045
00:00:03.687517 OS Service Pack:
00:00:03.866643 DMI Product Name: VMware7,1
Did you get the host's VM log or the log inside the VMware VM?
scottgus1 wrote:A VM log on the host OS is needed ...
Start the host's Windows 10 VM...
Cigala wrote:I'm trying to get rid of VMWare due to licensing issues and I was thinking of switching to VirtualBox.
I gathered from this that you were uninstalling VMware and switching to Virtualbox on the host. Note that if you are keeping VMware on the host and intend to run Virtualbox inside the VMware VM, then as Mpack said above, this is an unsupported setup. Host > Vmware > Virtualbox may not work. Host > Virtualbox > Virtualbox might work better.

Also note Mpack's suggestion about nested VT-x in VMware.
I think I uploaded the wrong file because the sent file is the log inside de VMWare VM. The file you ask for me i can not access until tomorrow because i am not the administrator of the company.
Cigala

Post by Cigala »

In any case, with Host > VMWare > VMWare configuration, I get the same error since versions after 7. With the version 7.0 of VMWare Player, all works fine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Cigala wrote:The file you ask for me i can not access until tomorrow because i am not the administrator of the company.
If the company intends to stay with VMware on the physical PC, don't bother with the log, it'll be a VMware log, and we may not be able to help, since it's not Virtualbox.

Try to get them to turn on nested VT-x in VMware as suggested, and you might stand a chance.
Cigala

Post by Cigala »

I have enabled the Nested Virtualization (VT-x) On VMWare option.

When booting XP in VirtualBox, the error from the first post no longer appears but unfortunately, XP does not boot. The screen stays black with the white cursor blinking.

I upload the log as well.

Any more ideas?
Attachments
VBox.zip
(16.69 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox VM seems to be working OK, and gets to booting the XP OS, but nothing is left in the log. The log was probably taken while the VM was still open. So there are no statistics to see if any attempt was made to read data off the XP VM's hard disk.

I see that VT-x is getting through now, but the VMware VM has only one processor. Can you give it at least 3? Then try installing a fresh new XP VM with two processors and see if XP behaves.

A couple other things:

The Virtualbox version is 6.1.0, which if I remember correctly was the first version that supported nested virtualization on Intel processors. It's likely to be buggy. Try 6.1.42 here: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ Note that the later 6.1.44 may have a bug in the Guest Additions for XP.

The Intel Xeon processor does not show VMCS shadowing in the XP VM. This feature is needed for good nested virtualization. Even if you get XP to boot, it may not run well on this host.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Cigala wrote:unfortunately, XP does not boot. The screen stays black with the white cursor blinking.
That's the classic result of taking an XP VM from VMWare and running it in VirtualBox. Toggle the IO-APIC setting and it should be fine. The two VM platforms have different defaults for this setting, and XP is not plug-and-play viz motherboard features.