Windows XP Video driver problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ManoesPK

Windows XP Video driver problem

Post by ManoesPK »

I installed ver 6.1.44 on Windows 11 x64, and try to use windows xp x86 as virtualmachine. everything installed fine. after I try to install Guest Additions. It installed with lots of errors.. (I just log file, Just captured while installation going). After reboot the screen goes blank but it seems the windows works fine. If I press Alt+F4 then enter windows shuts down nicely. If I boot Safemode with F8 Key the display works fine. Only in normal mode it's not working. I tried to install Guest Additions ver 6.1.26 and The display works nice. The latest version 7.0.8 also have the same issue. Please fix the issue.

PS: I reduced (removed lines) the file because only maximum 128 KB upload
Attachments
File.txt
Error
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows XP Video driver problem

Post by scottgus1 »

Zipped logs fit.

The new 7.0.8 Guest Additions are known to have trouble with XP VMs. 7.0.8 Virtualbox and 7.0.6 Guest Additions in an XP VM is reported to work.

I haven't heard yet that 6.1.44 Guest Additions don't work well in XP VMs that I have read. If you're using 6.1.44, please try 6.1.42 Guest Additions inside the XP VM.

Please install the 6.1.44 failing GAs in the VM, run it to failure, then create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Reverting to 6.1.42 may work as a fallback.
ManoesPK

Post by ManoesPK »

scottgus1 wrote:Zipped logs fit.

create a ticket with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.
Thank you for the guide. I had created the Ticket.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

ManoesPK wrote:I had created the Ticket.
Ticket 21628.
scottgus1 wrote:I haven't heard yet that 6.1.44 Guest Additions don't work well in XP VMs that I have read.
I can change that! ;)

Regarding Windows XP guests in general, both VirtualBox Guest Additions 6.1.44 and 7.0.8 have the same problem that during the GA installation the video driver is not being installed, leading to a "no video driver installed" situation.

Regarding Windows XP guests on macOS Ventura 13.3+ hosts, the additional problem of extreme video slowness comes into play. Both problems are solved in the current test builds.
ManoesPK

Post by ManoesPK »

fth0 wrote: I can change that! ;)
1. How you can?.
2. Where I can find the test builds.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info, fth0!

ManoesPK, here are the test builds. Save the test build installer until you update again later. You'll need it if your host's MSI installation database goes south (they do) and the installer will not be available for download after the next even-number version gets released. Also note the special instructions for Windows 10 & 11 hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

ManoesPK wrote:Where I can find the test builds.
I answered that in your Bugtracker ticket. ;)
Horsa

Post by Horsa »

Re the 28 April thread by Scottgus1, I am using 7.0.8 on Windows 11 Pro and my XP machine suffers from the blank screen. You suggest 7.0.6 GA is reported to work. How do I replace the 7.0.8 GA with the 7.0.6 or 6.1.44 version so that I can see if that cures the problem? Also I don't actually know how to obtain earlier GAs given that they are part of the exe installer. Apologies for being fairly clueless.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem, Horsa!

Older GAs can be had here: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ direct link to 7.0.6 GAs https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _7.0.6.iso

Once you have the ISO downloaded, open the main Virtualbox window, then select the VM. in the Storage settings, click "Optical Drive" then "Choose Disk Image", then the ISO.

Boot the XP OS into Safe mode (web-search how to do this) then uninstall the existing GAs, reboot, install the new GAs.
Horsa

Post by Horsa »

Thank you for your prompt and useful reply. I have downloaded a couple of earlier GAs and have had several unsuccessful attempts to boot into safe mode (using F8 from web search) after starting the XP machine. We have a visitor staying for a few days and so I may not be able to devote a lot of time to this just now but will report back in due course.
Horsa

Post by Horsa »

Try as I may, I cannot get into safe mode. I am thinking of two options. I have tried test build 7.0.9 on another PC and this runs XP fine. So can I just update my 7.0.8 to 7.0.9. Alternatively I could uninstall 7.0.8 and revert to 6.1.42 but, if I do this, will my 7.0.8 virtual machines work on the earlier version?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Horsa wrote:Try as I may, I cannot get into safe mode.
Did you try beating a tattoo on F8 as soon as the VM splash screen appears?
Horsa wrote:So can I just update my 7.0.8 to 7.0.9.
Possibly. Backups are always a good idea.
Horsa wrote:Alternatively I could uninstall 7.0.8 and revert to 6.1.42 but, if I do this, will my 7.0.8 virtual machines work on the earlier version?
Probably, as long as they don't use any features of 7.0, like the WAS audio or TPM/Secure boot.
Horsa

Post by Horsa »

I have updated to 7.0.9 and it is working fine. Thank you for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.