VirtualBox has returned an error:

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Will_I_Am

VirtualBox has returned an error:

Post by Will_I_Am »

Good Day All,

I'm using VirtualBox on a Windows host to run GNS3, all is good, however when trying to open a saved project I created in GNS3 I get the attached VirtualBox error.

The problem is I spend hours working on a project to find out when trying to open the saved project it fails and Ive got to re-do everything again.

Is there anybody out there with a solution to the error, I really need it working. Not sure if I'm maybe doing something wrong.

VirtualBox has returned an error: VBoxManage.exe: error: A differencing image of snapshot {5fbc19e4-2559-4047-b890-b69002ea718a} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {3d1ae1b3-ec68-4980-af0f-68c1ea2d032f}
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component SnapshotMachine, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "OpenMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), Bstr(strPassword).raw(), machine.asOutParam()))" at line 160 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

Thank You

Kind Regards
William
Attachments
ERROR GNS3.PNG
ERROR GNS3.PNG (108.49 KiB) Viewed 553 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox has returned an error:

Post by scottgus1 »

As I read in my web-searches, GNS3 uses Virtualbox as its back-end to run the network simulations. The error you get sounds like GNS3 uses Virtualbox's Snapshots feature to store GNS3's user projects.

A snapshot partially consists of a base "parent" disk file and a differencing "child" disk file, along with other stuff in the Virtualbox VM's configuration file. The error is happening because the "child" disk file is disappearing, or the config file isn't being made correctly.

Since this is happening under GNS3, you'd need to ask them what is going on. We don't know how they're using Virtualbox.