Is virtualbox still supporting amd graphic cards?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sh0ckTheM0nk3y
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 10

Is virtualbox still supporting amd graphic cards?

Post by Sh0ckTheM0nk3y »

Hello,
yesterday I updated the software and driver for my amd rx 6700xt card and found out that in the linux guest the acceleration does not work anymore and everything is very slow. So I installed the older software and driver from last year (whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.2-win10-win11-dec8) and everything works fine again. The new version I tried was whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.3.1-win10-win11-mar7.

I am using VirtualBox 6.1.40 r154048 (Qt5.6.2) and Debian 10 as linux guest. Or do I have to update Virtualbox to get it run with the latest grafic driver? I tried to update to version 7 a few weeks ago, but than the linux guest crashed and had to reinstall 6.1.4. Now I quite unsure what to do.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Is virtualbox still supporting amd graphic cards?

Post by scottgus1 »

I'd at least try an uninstall/reboot/reinstall of Virtualbox after the new video drivers are installed. If this doesn't restore proper 3D acceleration, please zip and post the VM's vbox.log and vboxhardening.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. It could be possible one of the new driver files is not properly security-signed, which could stop 3D from working.
Sh0ckTheM0nk3y
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 10

Post by Sh0ckTheM0nk3y »

Hi,

no chance. I updated the software and driver for my grafic card again. Then I updated Virtualbox vom 6.1.4 to 7.0.6 and started a fresh new installation of Debian 11 (not Debian 10). First it seemed that Debian 11 is working, but there were randomly logouts from the gnome desktop and sometimes delays when typing in the console, transparent background in the console didnt work. Same behavior with the older grafic card driver. I deleted the newly created Debian11 vm and decided to install Virtualbox 6.1.42 to work with Debian 10. Debian 10, Vitualbox 6.1.42 and the driver whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.2-win10-win11-dec8 works on my amd system. I will give it a try next year again!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Gnome uses Wayland, and Virtualbox has some trouble with Wayland.

Glad you have a setup that works. 7.0 is rather new with graphics changes and is still in bug-hunt phase yet.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox doesn't "support" any host graphics cards. The host OS does that, in fact since DOS days. VirtualBox does however expect to see certain host APIs, such as OpenGL, which must be enabled and working on the host for related VM features to work. Decent graphics cards usually come with good OpenGL API drivers.