Windows 10 guest extremely slow when boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sslmike

Windows 10 guest extremely slow when boot

Post by sslmike »

Hi all, sorry in advance for my english, after installing Virtualbox 7.0.2 and upgrading to windows 11 22h2 i noticed that the windows 10 guest boot time got much longer and with the cpu reaching 80% - 90% during boot, so I reinstalled the version 6.1.38 which seems more stable for the programs I use, but the boot problem remained.
Now the circle of windows during boot slows down until at times it stops completely and then resumes and finishes booting with the next boot of windows showing the login screen.
As components I use an i9-12900hx cpu and 32Gb of ram.
I hope someone can help me, Hyper-v is disabled and I already tried a reinstall of virtualbox.
Attachments
VBox.rar
(28.76 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
IPGSupp

Re: Windows 10 guest extremely slow when boot

Post by IPGSupp »

Try it with Windows 11 memory integrity off (Windows Security/Device Security/Core isolation details). That fixed a similar issue for me.
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

Hi, I checked but it is already disabled, only microsoft vulnerable driver block list is active
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

Hi, I still have the same problem, has anyone ever encountered the same problem and can help me?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, We missed this one.

The log shows no host Hyper-V interference. 6.1.38 is being used. The Guest Additions do not show as being installed yet, though the VM only ran for 49 seconds, so I don't see if it got to the desktop yet.

Without Guest Additions, 3D acceleration can't be used. 3D often helps Windows 10 work faster. (3D in 10 also requires turning off Transparency Effects in 10.)

7.0.2 had some bugs that were fixed since then. 7.0.6 is out now, as well as 6.1.42. 7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, though. Try and upgrade to 6.1.42, and install Guest Additions and turn on 3D Acceeration / turn off Transparency in the VM OS.
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

scottgus1 wrote:Sorry, We missed this one.

The log shows no host Hyper-V interference. 6.1.38 is being used. The Guest Additions do not show as being installed yet, though the VM only ran for 49 seconds, so I don't see if it got to the desktop yet.

Without Guest Additions, 3D acceleration can't be used. 3D often helps Windows 10 work faster. (3D in 10 also requires turning off Transparency Effects in 10.)

7.0.2 had some bugs that were fixed since then. 7.0.6 is out now, as well as 6.1.42. 7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, though. Try and upgrade to 6.1.42, and install Guest Additions and turn on 3D Acceeration / turn off Transparency in the VM OS.
Hi, no problem and thanks for the reply, tonight when I finish work I will try to update to 6.1.42 and let you know. The problem does not always seem to occur, I will do further tests but when I turn off the pc and turn it back on again the problem almost never appears with my VMs.
When the problem of excessive cpu usage occurs (during VM startup even 80%-90%) it seems that the Host system struggles to acquire ram for the guest, I hope I explained myself well.
I also tried version 7.0.4, but I had problems with Internet Explorer which is still used in the company for some activities.
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

Hi, I updated as suggested to version 6.1.42 but the problem is still present and occurs randomly, here is the log of the last time the problem occurred.
When I start the VMs after the initial screen of virtualbox while loading windows the cpu usage goes up to 85% and the ram occupation is very slow (at this moment you can see the windows loading loop move jerky or freeze altogether), after about 10-15 seconds the cpu usage drops dramatically, the ram is now completely reserved and the system boots.
Attachments
BACKUP di Windows 10 LAVORO-2023-03-26-17-58-02.rar
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like you got the hardening log, which shows no problems, btw, exit code is 0.

Please try the run again, and get the Vbox.log.
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

Hi, now the problem should be present in the log.
Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
TEST Windows 10-2023-03-28-11-28-13.rar
(32.24 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

Another log containing the problem.
Attachments
Windows 10 DOWNLOADs-2023-03-31-15-28-57.rar
(33.36 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Personally, I don't see any operations issues in the VM 'hardware' as reported in the logs. Forum gurus will have to weigh in and see what's up.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Windows 10 DOWNLOADs-2023-03-31-15-28-57.log wrote:
00:00:21.114586 GIM: HyperV: Unknown/invalid hypercall opcode 0x4e47 (20039)
This is the only log message that I haven't seen before, and it also didn't occur within the other two log files. I understand that 0x4E47 is probably not a valid hypercall opcode (Microsoft documents values in the form of 0x00xx and 0x80xx), and that it's the binary representation of "NG" or "GN". But that doesn't lead me anywhere.

Other than that, I didn't see any indication of a cause for slowness in the log files. The latest log file shows a boot in under 1 minute. To understand what you're talking about: What's extremely slow in your POV?
sslmike

Post by sslmike »

fth0 wrote:
Windows 10 DOWNLOADs-2023-03-31-15-28-57.log wrote:
00:00:21.114586 GIM: HyperV: Unknown/invalid hypercall opcode 0x4e47 (20039)
This is the only log message that I haven't seen before, and it also didn't occur within the other two log files. I understand that 0x4E47 is probably not a valid hypercall opcode (Microsoft documents values in the form of 0x00xx and 0x80xx), and that it's the binary representation of "NG" or "GN". But that doesn't lead me anywhere.

Other than that, I didn't see any indication of a cause for slowness in the log files. The latest log file shows a boot in under 1 minute. To understand what you're talking about: What's extremely slow in your POV?
Hi, it happens randomly that between 80% and 90% of the cpu is used when booting a VM, this causes a lot of slowdown on what I'm doing during this problem.
In case you are using other VMs while this problem occurs, the VMs started will experience significant lag.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The rareness of the problem will mean a bit of record-keeping on your part, but the following might help interpreting the log when it does happen again:

Each time you start the VM, note down the wall clock time. Hour, minutes, seconds will be necessary.
Watch the boot carefully for the delay and CPU rise.
If the delay doesn't happen when the VM runs, discard the recorded wall clock time.
The next time the delay happens, this is the time you'll keep the recorded VM start wall clock time.
Also record as accurately as you can the wall clock time when the delay and CPU rise happens.
Further, record the wall clock time when the VM un-freezes and CPU returns to normal.
Shut down the VM. Then zip and post the VM's latest vbox.log and the latest VboxSVC.log in "C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox". Also report the three wall clock times (VM start, delay start, delay end.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

sslmike wrote:it happens randomly that between 80% and 90% of the cpu is used when booting a VM
This does not sound strange to me at all, and when my Windows 10 VM is not up-to-date, this holds true for several minutes.
sslmike wrote:causes a lot of slowdown on what I'm doing during this problem
This is a statement that probably nobody except you can understand, because you did neither tell what you're doing nor what "a lot of" means.