Cannot start VM on Ideapad running Windows 10 Home

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BonBonShrimp

Cannot start VM on Ideapad running Windows 10 Home

Post by BonBonShrimp »

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 700 with Windows 10 Home edition installed in it. On this machine, earlier I was able to run 64-bit Ubuntu using VirtualBox 6.x. It has been at least 6 months since I ran it last time. However, I'm trying to do the same now, but VirtualBox is not able start the VM anymore. (At first I tried with version 6.x that was working earlier, which didn't work, and then installed the new version 7.0, but that didn't help either). Windows 10 current version on my computer shows as 22H2, OS build 19045.2486.
Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0)
(VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE)

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
(VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)
Apparently, this is a pretty common issue, so I looked up various posts from the past on this topic. I tried all of the suggested solutions that applied to my computer, but none of them have worked.

1. Made sure "Intel Virtualization Technology" enabled in BIOS. This was enabled before too, and was the first thing I checked on getting the problem.

2. Under "Turn windows features on or off", I have "Virtual Machine Platform" and "Windows Hypervisor Platform" boxes unchecked. I even went ahead and disabled "Windows Subsystem for Linux" checkbox, although it's probably not necessary.

3. bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
This command ran successfully. (I made sure I shut down my computer and disconnected it from power supply for > 15 minutes.)

4. DISM /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
I think running this one I got the message to the effect that the feature is not present.

5. Even installed version 5.2 going by a recent thread on the same topic, but it didn't work.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot start VM on Ideapad running Windows 10 Home

Post by mpack »

Give us a VM log (any VM). Then we'll be able to check your assertions. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
BonBonShrimp

Post by BonBonShrimp »

Here you go. Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.zip
Zip file created from VBox.log
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VT-x is required for all VMs in VirtualBox v7, and the log says that it is NOT enabled in your BIOS. Please read FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Especially take note of the distinction between virtualization and virtual directed I/O.

The steps you took to disabling Hyper-v would have been useless, because it can't have been running: it wants VT-x too.

A less likely possibility is that you have some other software which uses VT-x, e.g. some kind of third party AV. You would know if you have anything like this installed.
BonBonShrimp

Post by BonBonShrimp »

OK, I finally figured it out. It's the BIOS. It needed an update with a newer version. I still don't understand why though, because it was working with the older BIOS version earlier. In any case, VBox runs fine now. Thank you for your help.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.