Unable to boot win10 on win10 with paravirtualization interface=Default

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dnordenberg

Unable to boot win10 on win10 with paravirtualization interface=Default

Post by dnordenberg »

Hi!
My Virtual Windows 10 machine does not boot anymore since 7.0.4 (and 7.0.6). Windows immediately tries to boot into repair mode but machine locks up while displaying this "Starting repair mode" screen. When downgrading to 7.0.2 machine boots normally again.
Log ends with

Code: Select all

00:00:11.840929 GIM: HyperV: Guest OS reported ID 0x1040a0000271b
00:00:11.840951 GIM: HyperV: Open-source=false Vendor=0x1 OS=0x4 (Windows NT or derivative) Major=10 Minor=0 ServicePack=0 Build=10011
00:00:11.841095 GIM: HyperV: Enabled hypercall page at 0x0000000000216000
If I change Paravirtualization Interface from Default to None the machine boots again with 7.0.6 but I guess this has some performance penalties?
What may be wrong? How to continue finding the reason for this?
Attaching VirtualBox log files from booting with 7.0.2 successfully and 7.0.6 with lockup. Also Attaching .vbox file as zip as .vbox was not allowed directly.
7.0.2.txt
(87.17 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
7.0.6 lockup2.txt
(82.92 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Attachments
Win10_vbox.zip
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to boot win10 on win10 with paravirtualization interface=Default

Post by mpack »

Paravirtualization interface has nothing to do with your host OS or its features. It is simply the "language" that VirtualBox will use to talk to this guest. The host is not involved. For Windows 10 guests the correct choice is Hyper-v so leave it on that.

Windows trying to boot into repair mode means that the virtual drive is corrupted. It has nothing to do with any API. Is that a USB flash drive you're trying to load the VM from? Most USB flash drives are not built for continuous use, they will overheat and fail.

Also the VM seems to be set up strangely, in particular the main hard drive is called "xxxxx-disk1.vdi", which often means that the disk came from an OVA appliance that was not imported correctly.
dnordenberg

Post by dnordenberg »

Thank you for your answer!
Ok. Then it is really strange that setting paravirtualization interface to None seems to make it boot again?
It is on a 1TB USB SSD, not a flash drive.
That may be true that it was once an imported OVA appliance. I think I created a new .vbox machine several times and just added/pointed to the disk image again and again when moving between physical machines. So the original imported machine is probably long gone.
But I don't think there is anything wrong with the image anyway since 7.0.2 boots it correctly or am I missing something here?

Kind regards
David
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Agreed that I don't understand why setting "paravirtualization" to "None" would help anything.

Well perhaps my understanding of your problem is lacking, so we'll wait for other volunteers to contribute.

Btw, all of your logs file above are incomplete, making them not useful for diagnosis. You must completely shut down the VM before grabbing log files. Also the logs should be zipped to ensure that they are below the size limit for the forums.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A thought: there have been a few "won't boot in 7.0 but will in 6.1" reports that haven't been diagnosed yet. It would be curious if these might have worked if Paravirtualization=None was tried.

I wonder if a Bugtracker ticket might not be a good idea to tell the devs about this.
dnordenberg

Post by dnordenberg »

Saved logs from 7.0.6 with Paravirtualization None and Default, compressed and machines shutdown (one using Default is forced off). I do get successful boots into repair mode sometimes but next reboot still starts up repair mode again.
It is interesting that when I switch to Default, machine immediately tries to boot to repair mode, it does not try a normal boot which fails first and then goes to repair mode. It just instantly switches to trying to boot in repair mode like it already knows something is wrong.

I did a notepad++ compare between them. Nothing special what I can see, some extra hyperv rows when Default is selected.
Any drawbacks with selecting None and just using that? (except from working around a bug)
Namnlös2.png
Namnlös2.png (86.19 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Attachments
logs.zip
(107.31 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The 7.0.6 lockup2.txt file and the 7.0.6 paravirtualization default lockedup boot file are both missing part of the log messages that are usually created during the initial use of the Hyper-V Paravirtualization Interface by the guest OS. Therefore, it seems to make sense that the issue doesn't occur if the Hyper-V Paravirtualization Interface is not provided to the VM. I haven't seen such a behavior before and I do not understand the nature of this problem, but it could be timing dependent according to your descriptions.

I noticed that you've enabled Nested VT-x/AMD-V in the VM settings, which influences the timing of VMs. In VirtualBox 7.0.4, major changes have been made to this implementation, with the ultimate goal to support Hyper-V as a nested hypervisor (it doesn't fully work yet). As a wild guess, disable this setting and see if your issue persists.

Using the Hyper-V Paravirtualization Interface enhances the accuracy of timings in the guest OS. If not using it fits your needs regarding the behavior of the VM, you can go ahead with that.
dnordenberg

Post by dnordenberg »

Hi!

Sorry for the delay, I was away from my computer a few days :(
Yes disabling nested VT-x in VM settings fixes the problem too and now after a now successful boot into repair mode (seems windows has to do this once) I can just chose reboot and windows starts normally again.
One interesting thing, this option is now grayed out after VM settings was saved so I can not enable it again. I can not see why it is grayed out, my i5-10210U processor has VT. Was it a invalid setting before when enabled maybe through a older virtualbox version which incorrectly allowed enabling it and that was the cause of all this?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Intel i5-10210U CPU has the VT-x capability, but it does not have the VMCS Shadowing capability, which is necessary for efficient nested virtualization. For the gory details, see my post about Nested VT-x and VMCS Shadowing.

In consequence, you've been using a combination (CPU + VM setting) that's not explicitly supported and perhaps not even tested, so it could have got broken unnoticed.
dnordenberg

Post by dnordenberg »

Nice, then we know the cause :)
Maybe Virtualbox should should validate settings more often so you can't leave invalid/unsupported options enabled then? Maybe also hint why an option is disabled (like it already does on some other invalid setting combinations).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

dnordenberg wrote:Maybe Virtualbox should should validate settings more often?
Maybe, but I remind you that we are fellow users, not the devs, so we are not the people who need to be persuaded. Raise a bugtracker improvement suggestion, if it's trivial then I guess a fix is likely.