Disappointed Windows 10 and Oracle

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Craig Hack
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win XP, Win 10

Disappointed Windows 10 and Oracle

Post by Craig Hack »

After installing later versions of Oracle Virtual Box, I noticed Windows 10 would proceed to take all available memory, especially when launching Microsoft Edge. I went through Resetting my PC in the Recovery option. Now when I attempt to install Oracle Extensions, the Windows 10 VM just crashes. I also can no longer use the Bridged Adapter in Oracle settings for Windows 10.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Disappointed Windows 10 and Oracle

Post by scottgus1 »

Craig Hack wrote:After installing later versions of Oracle Virtual Box,
What version numbers do you refer to? 7.0 is just out of beta and needs some bug fixing yet. 6.1 is stable.
Craig Hack wrote:when I attempt to install Oracle Extensions, the Windows 10 VM just crashes.
Terminology is important. There's the Extension Pack, which goes in Virtualbox on the host. And there's Guest Additions, which go in the guest. There's no "Oracle Extensions". If this means the Extension Pack, you don't install these inside the guest, there's no way for them to run. If this is the Guest Additions, then yes 7.0 Guest Additions are also still being worked on.

Go back to the version you were using before, check if things are working OK. Which leads to this:
Craig Hack wrote: I also can no longer use the Bridged Adapter in Oracle settings for Windows 10.
Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

Never mind, I went back to version 6.1.38 and the extension pack installs successfully. However, with version 7.0.4 it just crashes the Windows 10 client. Which I find interesting since Windows 10 is not supposed to crash. Oops, Microsoft flaw, not surprising.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

So a couple things. Version 7.0.4 appears to have additional "features". 1) Oracle 7.0.4 allows the Microsoft Windows 10 access the Host Memory resource at almost 100%. Which I thought was not supposed to happen. 2) Oracle 7.04 needs to add a setting to limit the Microsoft Windows 10 client to use ONLY the memory I tell it in settings. 3) Oracle 6.1.38 seems to be more stable, so I will stick with that version. 4) Hard disk utilization is much better with 6.1.38 than 7.0.4, in other words, the Hard Disk does not stay pegged at 100% with 6.1.38 once the Windows 10 client has finished it's usual startup loading.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Craig Hack wrote:1) Oracle 7.0.4 allows the Microsoft Windows 10 access the Host Memory resource at almost 100%. Which I thought was not supposed to happen. 2) Oracle 7.04 needs to add a setting to limit the Microsoft Windows 10 client to use ONLY the memory I tell it in settings.
Can you please show us some evidence for what you're talking about here?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

Dude, you don't get it, the Windows 10 client crashes, the only evidence I have is the client shows in the state of ABORTED. Besides, it is too late, I have already reverted to version 6.1.38. I am not gonna uninstall 6.1.38 and install 7.0.4 just to appease you.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

I suppose what you are perhaps saying is the this is a one off. In other words it only happening with my environment. Well, if that is the case, I am happy, because 6.1.38 works fine for my environment. I will stay with that version, because it works for my environment. Hope the rest of you are not having any issues with version 7.0.4.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Craig Hack wrote: the Windows 10 client crashes, the only evidence I have is the client shows in the state of ABORTED.
scottgus1 wrote:
Craig Hack wrote:when I attempt to install Oracle Extensions, the Windows 10 VM just crashes.
Terminology is important. There's the Extension Pack, which goes in Virtualbox on the host.
Craig Hack wrote:Never mind, I went back to version 6.1.38 and the extension pack installs successfully. However, with version 7.0.4 it just crashes the Windows 10 client.
From the above, now that you theoretically understand the terminology, I gather that you were trying to install the Extension Pack while the VM is running. Very bad idea. Up-ending the underlying structure of an app while the app is running will always turn out poorly. Next time, try installing the Extension Pack while no VMs are running.

scottgus1 wrote:Can you please show us some evidence for what you're talking about here?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, etc...
This was meant as a way to get evidence for the extremely unusual situation you reported in 7.0, that the VM was taking more RAM than the settings allowed. As yet, we can only assume you misread the situation and the RAM problem did not occur. To borrow a common Internet requirement:

Pics Logs or it didn't happen.
Craig Hack wrote:I am not gonna uninstall 6.1.38 and install 7.0.4 just to appease you.
We all are fellow users of Virtualbox, and we're here to help users like you get your Virtualbox working. If you don't want to help, then stay on 6.1 for the rest of your life and don't post. We'll see how far that gets you when Windows 13 or Ubuntu 2027 comes out and you can't run it....
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

You don't understand my terminology it appears. YOU HAVE to Install the extension pack on the client in order for the client to utilize the features of the extension pack. The extension pack was indeed already installed. I simply mounted the iso of the extension pack so that I could install it on the client. However, the Windows 10 client crashes during that process. Therefore, the Windows 10 client will NOT make use of the extension pack features. Just to be clear here.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Craig Hack wrote:YOU HAVE to Install the extension pack Guest Additions on the client in order for the client to utilize the features of the extension pack Guest Additions.
FTFY. Your terminology is still wrong. The Extension Pack is only a certain kind of zip folder with files that Virtualbox on the host would use. There's nothing in the Guest OS that can use the Extension Pack files, and Windows doesn't even know how to open this kind of zip file, let alone run the files within it.

Guest Additions does run in the VM OS. And 7.0 Guest Additions is having some trouble now, due to the new nature of 7.0. It'll get adjusted eventually.
Craig Hack wrote:You don't understand my terminology it appears.
No I don't, and neither would anyone else who knows Virtualbox, if you will keep insisting on calling things by the wrong name.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

Good bye, Alice.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

You could have just said, anything I post here will not considered. You will be met with sarcasm and a process that makes no sense. Meanwhile, the bug remains and you probably get paid to do absolutely nothing except to be contrary, Which is what the Alice quote is all about.

Live long and prosper in your untouchable kingdom, that rejects everything and ignores everything. Sort of like the Government, except they bicker, it is the other parties fault we are in another fine mess.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Craig Hack wrote:... and you probably get paid to do absolutely nothing except to be contrary ...
No one here is being paid by anyone for the help they offer to people who are having problems with the software. We are all end-users of VirtualBox and understand the process required to resolve issues. When your VM aborted it will have left a log file (which you seem to think is irrelevant) that may have been helpful in understanding the reason why you are having problems. This in turn could have been helpful to many other users.

@scottgus1, a knowledgable user of VirtualBox, was trying to help. He quite rightly pointed out that Extensions are a completely piece of software from the Guest Additions.

I am sorry you have had these issues but we cannot help solve your problem if you don't want to be helped.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

Yes, you are right. The helping part is far from perfect. I am not interested in so called "terminology". I know a bug when I see it. But, to get stuck what things are called, I found irrelevant. I guess this a case where I have a PC that perhaps is old and DLLs have a mismatch issue. Which is yet another thing I would like to get solved. So, most likely this could only be reproduced on this specific PC. But, I was wondering if anybody else had a similar issue. The other thing that is irrelevant is a screen shot. The screen on the client turns black and the client crashes. I can describe it but getting a screen shot of a black screen, why would you want that? Anyways, when I get some money enough to get a new PC, I hope to move to Linux as my base platform anyways. Microsoft Windows as a product should probably die. But that won't happen because they have a huge business in the corporate market.

The concept of helping on this site, was not clear. What I was hoping for was I would report it and perhaps have that as a statistic for Oracle to notice that version 7 was not as stable as version 6. But yeah, I understand now, nobody from Oracle appears to even look at these posts.
Craig Hack

Post by Craig Hack »

The client OS install, I suppose you call it "Guest Extension", might need to change based on the hardware under the client. But how do you tell a client OS, hey you are running in a virtual environment, You might want to update in two phases, like Windows update does. Where you get the percentage complete displayed on the screen. But since I have no way to tell Oracle that, we are just a bunch of users here. But it is just an idea to perform a two phase install of the "Guest Extension".