E_FAIL (0x80004005) - VMHIDE - VboxManage - EFI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GAV-NADER

E_FAIL (0x80004005) - VMHIDE - VboxManage - EFI

Post by GAV-NADER »

Hi Everyone; thanks for your time if you opened and read this thread.

This is my scenario:

What i have:
Virtualbox version: 6.1.38 r153438 (Qt5.6.2)
HOST: Windows 10 Pro - Hypervisor = off

What I am trying to do:

I need to use those commands to hide the virtual machine from a specific software.

VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVendor" "American Megatrends Inc"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "2.1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "ASUSTek Computer"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "$(__get_random_string 9)"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/SerialNumber" "$(__get_random_string 20)"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/FirmwareRevision" "$(__get_random_string 8)"
VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/ahci/0/Config/Port0/ModelNumber" "SEAGATE ST3750525AS"

The issue:

This software also recognizes the bios, so I have to switch the EFI to make it think that it is not a virtual-machine. The problem is that if I start even a new and empty virtual-machine ( no HD, no USB, no network, all deactivated ) and i switch that to EFI all goes ok, until I'm not prompting even a single of those codes:

VBoxManage setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVendor" "American Megatrends Inc"

Even the first one generates this problem:

Configuration error: Querying "BootDevice0" as a string failed (VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND)
Codice di uscita: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: ConsoleWrap
Interfaccia: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

If I reset the parameters with empty parameters, all works fine:

VBoxManage.exe setextradata "WIN10TEST" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" ""

Is this a known problem? Let me know, I'm extremely grateful if you arrived reading through here. Thanks!

LOG attached:
Attachments
WIN10TEST-2022-10-05-09-06-45.log
(36.75 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: E_FAIL (0x80004005) - VMHIDE - VboxManage - EFI

Post by mpack »

You can't hide a VM from guest software. Certainly playing with a few strings won't do it: I doubt it even looks at that. What it will look at first is the processor's VM flag.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, you'd have to replace "pcbios" with "efi" in the keys, as documented in 9.9. Configuring the BIOS DMI Information.
GAV-NADER

Post by GAV-NADER »

I am trying to follow a guide to install sw into virtualbox, there are many guides but none works. I switcher the efi code and it writes the code now, it starts but it will not hide virtualbox from sw-
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

GAV-NADER wrote:there are many guides but none works.
Any app maker who doesn't want their app running in a VM and is worth their salt will read those guides too and program around them.

Faking Virtualbox to look like a real PC is not something we do much here. Not to say that someone knows how, just that you might have to wait rather a while for that someone to appear.

And further, some of the 'hardware' put into the VM has very Virtualbox-sounding names and codes. These names can't be changed without manually editing the source code and rebuilding Virtualbox from the modified source. Since Virtualbox is no unknown hypervisor (this thing hasn't been done in a corner, eh?) it would be very easy for an app maker to program for running in known hypervisors.

To "cut the cackle and get to the hosses", you need to run this app on a real PC. If you're worried about corrupting your existing OS, clone it to another drive and use the cloned drive to run the app.
GAV-NADER

Post by GAV-NADER »

Yes, we already run the app on our company pc, I'm the IT, and I'm generating the master-iso-image of the various sector of the company, so if someone needs to install software she has allready everything set and configured.
One of the biggest issues in re-configuration is Solidworks; that's why we are trying to put the software inside the technical office master-iso. But without luck. Since we have a VMware license I will try that way since this VM is supported instead. Thanks for your time.

Maybe the last attempt is to create the iso-master file on an hardware computer.

Thanks for your time and support.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SolidWorks is expensive, and people try to rip them off all the time, hence I feel quite relaxed about asserting that there is no way on this green earth that you will fool SolidWorks into thinking that it's not a VM. There are too many trivially easy tests they can implement, and they are not fools.