VPN is blocking my shared folders

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SweWolf

VPN is blocking my shared folders

Post by SweWolf »

I am running a VPN Surfshark inside a VirtualBox (64-bit on Win 10). This works fine, but often shared folders get blocked. I know it's the VPN that is causing this, cause as soon as I turn off the VPN, the shared folders are back. Any suggestions about settings or so...?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VPN is blocking my shared folders

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're using real shared folders, shared through the host OS's normal sharing methods over a Bridged or Host-Only network, then Virtualbox isn't involved. If the VPN takes over the network, it may block real shared folders. That would be something for you to take up with the VPN providers.

If you're using Virtualbox Shared Folders (VSF), which require Guest Additions in the VM and which are set up in the Virtualbox settings and menus, then we'd need to see a VM log, started from the VM being fully shut down not save-stated, where the VM boots and has working VSF and no VPN, then you start the VPN and the VSF stop working. Then you turn off the VPN and the VSF come back. Then you shut down the VM from the VM OS's shut down control. Then you right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
SweWolf

Post by SweWolf »

I am using Virtualbox Shared Folders.
Ok, it sounded a little bit complicated to collect the log files, but I will look into it when I have time...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SweWolf wrote:I am using Virtualbox Shared Folders.
The VirtualBox Shared Folders are not using a network, so I can't see how the host using or not using VPN would have any influence. The only way GA shared folders would stop working would be if the host app no longer has permission to access that folder, e.g. if it belongs to a different host user account.