Newest VB 6.1.38 not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tomhor

Newest VB 6.1.38 not working

Post by tomhor »

Hello I have difficulties running newest VB 6.1.38 on my Win10 host.
VB 6.1.26 worked, although with some problems concerning bridged networking and that is the reason that
I tried to upgrade to 6.1.38. However, it turned that it doesn't work giving me the error when I try to install
or boot any of my VM's. The error looks like this:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 22.04.

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: RTCrStoreConvertToOpenSslCertStack 
failed: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VMMR0.r0 (VERR_NO_MEMORY).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_NO_MEMORY).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
So please if someone can give me a hint about solving this issue.

Cheers
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Newest VB 6.1.38 not working

Post by scottgus1 »

This error could mean a couple of things: Your host is running so many other things that there is not enough RAM to start a VM. Or the VM has a saved state.

Saved states don't typically survive a version change. If your VM has a saved state (it will say so in the status under the VM's name in the VM list) you can do one of two things:
A: revert to 6.1.26, start the VM, then save anything unsaved & shut down the VM from in the VM's OS.
B: right-click the VM in 6.1.38 and choose Discard Saved State. Unsaved data in the VM will be lost and the VM will start as if the power plug was unplugged on it.

Try rebooting your host completely, and be sure not to start any apps. Try the VM.
tomhor

Post by tomhor »

I deleted all of my VM's, uninstalled VB, deleted all files from Program files, reinstalled 6.1.38.... with same issue, uninstalled it, installed
6.1.26 it works but I don't have bridged networking.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, let's narrow this topic to getting 6.1.38 working. One issue per thread

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Right-click the 6.1.38 Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator.
tomhor

Post by tomhor »

Did everything that you proposed.
Unfortunately, this didn't work. This is the error code:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu server 22.04.

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: RTCrStoreConvertToOpenSslCertStack failed: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VMMR0.r0 (VERR_NO_MEMORY).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_NO_MEMORY).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I have 8Gb Ram on my machine and everything worked fine with version 6.1.26.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

This is a peculiar (*) problem, which has also been reported (by another user) and discussed in the Bugtracker in 21097, where I currently attribute it to the contents of the Windows certificate stores, but without having a clear strategy how to investigate the issue.

(*) VirtualBox copies the certificates of some of the Windows certificate stores into an internal OpenSSL structure. But since we're usually talking about several KB of memory here, it's hard to make a connection between the error and an out of memory situation.
tomhor

Post by tomhor »

Just to inform all of you, I tried version 6.1.32 and it works fine, for now. It even have no problems with bridged networking which
was the main reason I tried the newest version. Still, would be good if someone could examine what is the issue about all this.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

tomhor wrote:Still, would be good if someone could examine what is the issue about all this.
With only two users being affected up to now and the issue not being reproducible for others, I wouldn't expect much to happen. Please reproduce the issue when the next VirtualBox release update has been published (6.1.40, probably around 2022-10-18). One of the two possible error messages has been corrected, making it easier to determine the next step to investigate on your host.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Please see my explanation in Unable to install Extension Pack, which is based on the same bug.