vt-x is not enabled, but why?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AnKe43

vt-x is not enabled, but why?

Post by AnKe43 »

I got a new PC and transferred my existing VMs from the previous Elitebook to the new one.

Event after following the (known) instructions from e.g. https://thegeekpage.com/vt-x-is-not-available/ to get VB properly running there, it still fails on the new machine with the error "HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available"

Windows task manager tells me the virtualization is enabled. Thus I'm wondering if this could be related to the new "HP Wolf Security" installed and how to further troubleshoot?

Thanks a lot
Andreas
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.96 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: vt-x is not enabled, but why?

Post by mpack »

VT-x is enabled, it just isn't available because Hyper-v is using it.
00:00:05.855108 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:05.912805 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:05.912888 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
AnKe43

Post by AnKe43 »

In the end all offered tips and actions to disable Hyper-V failed. This is very likely related to the mentioned "HP Wolf Security" started at the very beginning of the boot process. Since it relies on Virtualization Based Security (VBS), Hyper-V is activated at a very early stage already. Hence the only alternative was to switch to Hyper-V based virtualization in VirtualBox as opposite to the default KVM. Performance doesn't seem to be as great as before, but still usable though.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

AnKe43 wrote:Hence the only alternative was to switch to Hyper-V based virtualization in VirtualBox as opposite to the default KVM. Performance doesn't seem to be as great as before, but still usable though.
If this was 'Paravirtualization' that you changed (which I surmise because Windows hosts don't use KVM virtualization) then this isn't what you think it is and shouldn't make a difference, except to make the VM run slower.

'Paravirtualization Interface' is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. Setting this to Hyper-V does not turn on or off the host OS's Hyper-V. KVM is used in Virtualbox for Linux VMs.
AnKe43 wrote:HP Wolf Security
"HP" anything is bloatware and should be deleted with extreme prejudice. I'd suggest taking a complete verified disk image of your host, for backup purposes, then kill off the Wolf and let Windows Defender handle AV, it does a good job and does not interfere with Virtualbox. Your host OS will probably run faster too.