USB Problem: Failed to attach the USB device (E_INVALIDARG)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thomas3463

USB Problem: Failed to attach the USB device (E_INVALIDARG)

Post by thomas3463 »

Hi,

I have a workstation with Windows 7 Professional 64bit and I have installed on VirtualBox (5.1.2r108956 with a EP. 5.1.2r108956) Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

After that WinUltimate complete the bootstrap I insert the USB device on my workstation and it is recognized (from the host PC).
On my Virtual WinUltimate select Device->USB->MyDevice on the virtual machine nothing is happening, if I repeat this operation I have an error: Failed to attach the USB device (E_INVALIDARG).

Can you help me?

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log
Log file
(117.43 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
USB Error
USB Error
USB Error.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 24570 times
bmn

Re: USB Problem: Failed to attach the USB device (E_INVALIDARG)

Post by bmn »

@thomas3463 can you check what is you're USB chip maker?
It seems that VirtualBox is currently not working with ASMedia based USB controllers or AMD based systems, can you confirm if yours is one of them?

P.S. If you don't know can you tell us what is you're motherboard make and model? (You can use CPU-Z to get that info if you don't know). Also is the screenshot from you're guest or host? I'm guessing guest but just asking to be sure.
thomas3463

Post by thomas3463 »

Hi bmn, I don't know the usb chipset version. This is the screenshot for the motherboard and the usb devicev (for the windows host pc):
(I try the USB 2.0 (EHCI) and 3.0 (xHCI) but the error is the same)
Attachments
USB settings on virtualbox
USB settings on virtualbox
USB Vbox.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 24548 times
USB.jpg
USB.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 24548 times
Motherboard.jpg
Motherboard.jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 24548 times
bmn

Post by bmn »

Have you successfully connected this (or another) usb device previously? This is the first time I'm hearing about this problem on an Intel based system with Intel USB controller. Have you tried connecting the USB device on another USB port (USB2-black or USB3-blue)?

If this is you're first attempt to connect an USB device you could try installing an previous version from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds to see if it is working there and give feedback so the developers can find where the error appeared and fix it in the next version.
thomas3463

Post by thomas3463 »

In the past I tried this feature on another pc. This is the first time than I install the VirtualBox on this PC.

I tried plugging the USB device on all port but do not work.

Today I tried only with "VirtualBox 4.3" but the problem is the same.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually, you focused on a different part of the error message. If you focus on the part that states "USB busy with a previous request" and search for it, you'll find plenty of replies.

@bmn: I'm not sure where you got your reports about ASMedia related problems, but a quick search reveals nothing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
thomas3463

Post by thomas3463 »

I found a solution. I delete a register key on windows host ( I follow this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36444 )

I don't know why but now the USB work fine!
bmn

Post by bmn »

Good for you, unfortunately this doesn't help me since I'm cursed with ASMedia USB controller.

@socratis from all the people I have spoken with that can't get USB devices to work - they are eater using AMD processor and don't know about USB controller or using an ASMedia one like me ...

P.S. I'm only having this problem on one AMD system that is using an ASMedia USB controller and have no problem on the other 2 Intel based systems I have access to (one is using an I3 CPU and Intel USB3 controller and the other is on budget Intel CPU and I'm not sure what the USB2 controller is).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@thomas3463
Yes, there are a lot of potential sources for this, that's why there is not a clear solution. It's like a trial and error method. Glad you got it working.

@bmn
You start your assumption by talking only about the hardware. Don't restrict yourself to that. It could very well be a software problem like the one that thomas3463 was having. I'll give you my usual laundry list. It's getting bigger and bigger unfortunately, but these are things that have helped people in the past...

Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state which step failed:
  1. Make sure that the Extension Pack is installed on the host. The same version as VirtualBox.
  2. Make sure that at least USB2 is enabled in your VM settings.
  3. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID. Check also http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids to make sure that you have the numbers correct.
  4. Unplug the device.
  5. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  6. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest.
  7. If the device shows up in your host and is not captured by the filter, either the filter is incorrect, or there might be a problem with your filter installation.
  8. If the device shows up, but as unavailable, "eject" it from your host (if you can), but leave it plugged in. It should show up as available.
  9. Shut down the VM and now zip and post the log.
  10. Are you by any chance using USB3?
  11. Is the VirtualBox USB Driver installed in your host? Make sure your host didn't silently reject non-MS drivers (Google for Driver Signature Enforcement).
  12. If on a Linux host, are you a member of the 'vboxusers' group? If not, add yourself with "sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <your username>", then reboot.
  13. If on a Linux host, run "sudo update-usbids".
  14. Check out these two Windows-specific ways to troubleshoot potential driver installation issues:
    1. USB not working
    2. SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host
    3. Remove Driver Filters to Resolve Device Manager Errors on Windows 7
  15. Post the output of the following commands:
       VBoxManage list usbhost
       VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mike_coreit

Post by mike_coreit »

Hi I have followed the various guides/steps in these posts but I also have the same issue.

I have tried changing the setting to USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 but this makes no difference. The motherboard has USB 2.0 ports and these work fine with the VM, the issue only occurs when I try to use a PCI-E card which has USB 3.0.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Note I am using Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Q8300 CPU, MicroConnect PCI-E USB 3.0 card (using the supplied VIA xHCI driver / VL805 controller)
Pumayk26

Post by Pumayk26 »

mike_coreit wrote:Hi I have followed the various guides/steps in these posts but I also have the same issue.

I have tried changing the setting to USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 but this makes no difference. The motherboard has USB 2.0 ports and these work fine with the VM, the issue only occurs when I try to use a PCI-E card which has USB 3.0.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Note I am using Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Q8300 CPU, MicroConnect PCI-E USB 3.0 card (using the supplied VIA xHCI driver / VL805 controller)

Hello.. Did you solve the issue..? Am having the same issue after 4 years.. :D .. Same VIA USB 3.0 x 7 PCI-e card.. I can use in host but when I try to attach with the vm. nothing is happened... it's not even trying.. I don't hear usb unplug sound either ..
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Busy with a previous request" is a classic problem, meaning that the host owns the device and doesn't want to give it up.

See USB Basics and Troubleshooting.

We also don't want to revive dead topics, so I'm going to lock this. Please start your own topic if you continue to have problems.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Pumayk26 keeps coming up with their own ideas for why this won't work instead of providing the tutorial's step 8 data viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107251&p=524877#p524877

Don't hope for much...