Freezing VM after WIn 11 Update on Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KingBAS

Freezing VM after WIn 11 Update on Host

Post by KingBAS »

Hey,

can someone help me? Since the last Update 2022h2 or what ever bs it is, my VM just freezes. It worked perfectly bevore but now its dead. How can I post a log here?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Freezing VM after WIn 11 Update on Host

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
KingBAS

Post by KingBAS »

Here you go ^^
Attachments
Empire Icarus Server-2022-10-03-08-53-09.rar
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
SYSMGR

Post by SYSMGR »

Same issue.

Additional data: I disabled Hyper-V before, and VBox showed the right icon (running natively). After update, the turtle-icon is shown, though none of the Hyper-V services is active (except for HVHost, but stopping that service does not make a difference). To ensure Hyper-V is off, I stopped it again ("bcdedit /set hypervlauncher off" and restarted: no difference: Just HVHost is running, other Hyper-V services are not active (though still set to "manual"). Another issue that is weird is that, when hovering over the turtle, VBox notes:
Execution engine: native API
Nested paging: Inactive
unlimited execution: inactive
Execution gap: 100
Para-virtualization: none
(Icould not make a screen image of this window)

but the VM has been set to nested paging and unlimited execution

Added images of Hyper-V services, VM settings and status-window of running VM)

Log added.

(In the end, the VM MAY start, but it takes minutes and the "running" system is unusable due to lack of performance)
Attachments
OVZ-2022-10-19-20-21-43.zip
VBOX.log
(24.41 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
images.zip
Images as in text
(169.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@KingBAS: Hyper-v is enabled.
00:00:14.797616 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: AMD-V is not available
00:00:14.837703 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:14.837762 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

@SYSMGR: ditto.
SYSMGR

Post by SYSMGR »

Reading through the linked posts: one of them mentioned core isolation to be DISABLED. I forgot I had this switched on before I upgraded but didn't run VBox after that, so when did the upgrade I ran into the issue.
After I disabled core isolation (using Windows security), rebooted and now VBox runs as it should, even with 2022H2 installed. The problem is not Hyper-V is running (which is not the case) but that core isolation is enabled....
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

SYSMGR wrote:The problem is not Hyper-V is running (which is not the case) but that core isolation is enabled....
It definitely IS the case that you had Hyper-v running - you can find that from the log yourself. Enabling core isolation turns it on.
BofA

Post by BofA »

Did you figure out how to fix it? I have tried disbaling hyper-v on hosts and core isolation etc.. nothing works.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The FAQ is linked above. If you still have Hyper-v then you didn't follow it, or not carefully enough.