how to install Nvidia driver in the virtual box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
stonexu

how to install Nvidia driver in the virtual box

Post by stonexu »

hi guys for running the machine learning code in the virtual box, I want to use the Nvidia driver to run the physical GPU, but I cannot download the driver correctly, can you guys help me? really thanks, (mod edit: email removed)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: how to install Nvidia driver in the virtual box

Post by scottgus1 »

You wouldn't run the Nvidia driver in the VM, because the VM will not see the Nvidia card in the host, and so the Nvidia driver won't find it when run in the VM.

The only physical computer part the VM sees is the CPU, nothing else. All the other 'hardware' in the VM, including the video card, is virtual, and Virtualbox has no way to pass a physical video card into the VM.
stonexu

Post by stonexu »

scottgus1 wrote:You wouldn't run the Nvidia driver in the VM, because the VM will not see the Nvidia card in the host. The only physical computer part the VM sees is the CPU, nothing else. All the other 'hardware' in the VM, including the video card, is virtual, and Virtualbox has no way to pass a physical video card into the VM.
really appreciate for your reply, I get that, so if I want to run the physical GPU, do you know any method to make it? thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you want to do programming on the host video card you'll have to do it in the host OS, not inside Virtualbox.
stonexu

Post by stonexu »

scottgus1 wrote:If you want to do programming on the host video card you'll have to do it in the host OS, not inside Virtualbox.
okay~ thanks, I will try to use the host OS