FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Railuge

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Post by Railuge »

I hate jumping someone's forum. I am having the same issue. I followed the steps from the manual and even some other help sites. It still won't load. I know the disk image i am using is good. I got it to work with another system before.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Post by BillG »

But have you managed to get it to work somewhere else after? Disk images can go bad.

Have you tried with a different disk image or a valid CD/DVD?
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Railuge wrote:I hate jumping someone's forum.
FTFY. :lol:
Railuge

Post by Railuge »

BillG wrote:But have you managed to get it to work somewhere else after? Disk images can go bad.

Have you tried with a different disk image or a valid CD/DVD?
Yes. I have some disks that work with setting it to work with windows 98 and what not. However there are still some programs that won't work this way. I tried everything across the internet to get this to work and it still tells me there is no medium
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see section 1 in the manual to set up a new VM. If you can do this and run the new VM successfully, then the problem is probably a broken OS inside the existing disk image. You can boot the VM that uses that disk image using an ISO that can fix the OS that is in the broken disk image.
Railuge

Post by Railuge »

scottgus1 wrote:Please see section 1 in the manual to set up a new VM. If you can do this and run the new VM successfully, then the problem is probably a broken OS inside the existing disk image. You can boot the VM that uses that disk image using an ISO that can fix the OS that is in the broken disk image.
From what i can tell the images aren't broken. Example, i can load Black and White just fine normally but it doesn't read in Oracle. I follow the steps and loaded the file but still comes up saying that there is no media.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

I presume that Black and White is a game which you are trying to run in a vm. I thought this post was about installing an OS in a vm.

Are we in fact talking about running a game in a vm?
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Railuge
BillG wrote:Are we in fact talking about running a game in a vm?
If Bill's guess is correct then just to clarify for Railuge's benefit: VirtualBox gives you a virtual PC. Inside that PC you install an Operating System (*), and on that Operating System you can install and run Apps. You would choose the OS to be the one expected by the app, so for a 2001 game I'm expecting that would have been Windows ME? (Note however, VirtualBox does not provide accelerated graphics for WinME).

(*) Selecting (say) the Win98SE template creates a PC whose hardware is usable by Win98SE. It does not give you a VM with a preinstalled OS, as Microsoft might have a thing or two to say about Oracle giving away their OS's for free.
Railuge

Post by Railuge »

Okay, so things are making more sense now. Yes i am trying to run old CD rom games on it. Keep in mind it's ones i have bought though, so no shenanigans. Unless you count ripping the CD image because the CPUs are cycling CDs out now it seems. The reason i tried Oracle was because i read that it would work with old CD roms.
Last edited by mpack on 13. Aug 2022, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted verbatim quote. Please use "Quote" selectively.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

VirtualBox itself will not run any programs. What it does do is emulate a PC. If you create a new vm and install an OS in it, you can then run application programs in the vm.

If instead of a game ISO you load a valid OS ISO, the vm will read that and run the OS install.
Bill
Railuge

Post by Railuge »

BillG wrote:VirtualBox itself will not run any programs. What it does do is emulate a PC. If you create a new vm and install an OS in it, you can then run application programs in the vm.

If instead of a game ISO you load a valid OS ISO, the vm will read that and run the OS install.
Okay thank you. Just so confused from the videos i watched. I am not very tech savey anymore so i get lost. God i feel old now. Again, thank you for clearing this confusion. Looks like my search is still on going.