Windows 10 Guest freezes on Windows 10 Host after ideling for some time

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RapidRico

Windows 10 Guest freezes on Windows 10 Host after ideling for some time

Post by RapidRico »

Hi,

I installed a Windows 10 Guest on a Windows 10 Host. Everything works as intended. But after some time if not used the VM freezes. Sometimes the hovereffects in the ui still reacts but does not cause any action. I see the HD LED blinking so there seems to be some action but I can't reactivate the VM.
I already deactivated the Screensaver and changed the energy saving plan to performance.
A quick search here didn't bring up any solutions. Any suggestions?
VirtualBox Version is 6.1.14 r140239 (Qt5.6.2).

Thank you in advanced

Rico
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 Guest freezes on Windows 10 Host after ideling for some time

Post by scottgus1 »

Check that the power options don't allow the guest OS to sleep, stand by, etc, and don't allow the guest OS screen to turn off.

If those don't work, start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
RapidRico

Post by RapidRico »

Thank you for your quick respond,
scottgus1 wrote:Check that the power options don't allow the guest OS to sleep, stand by, etc, and don't allow the guest OS screen to turn off.
I disabled the screensaver and the disabled the powersettings from turning off the display. I also put the powermanagement on full. I did not find any further options. Did I miss some?
scottgus1 wrote:If those don't work, start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Thanks again for your time.

Here goes the file.
Attachments
Windows-2020-10-18-18-30-30.zip
Log
(45.77 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

00:05:09.471170 VD#0: Read (0 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
00:05:09.471184 AHCI#0P0: Read at offset 89743601664 (4096 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
00:05:09.471369 AHCI#0: Port 0 reset
00:05:09.472390 VD#0: Cancelling all active requests
.....repeated ad infinitum
Seems the guest is losing connection to its drive files on the host drive. Do a disk check on your host drives and start doing backups.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

RapidRico wrote:I disabled the screensaver and the disabled the powersettings from turning off the display. I also put the powermanagement on full. I did not find any further options. Did I miss some?
From your descriptions, it is not perfectly clear to me if you are talking about settings in the guest, in the host, or both. So maybe you missed some? ;)

Jokes aside, take a peek into the other VBox.log.<n> files, and if you see the same VD#0/AHCI#0 messages, you should concentrate on anything regarding the virtual hard disk file (on the host and on the guest side, seriously ;)).
Last edited by fth0 on 19. Oct 2020, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
RapidRico

Post by RapidRico »

fth0 wrote:
RapidRico wrote:I disabled the screensaver and the disabled the powersettings from turning off the display. I also put the powermanagement on full. I did not find any further options. Did I miss some?
From your descriptions, it is not perfectly clear to me if you are talking about settings in the guest, in the host, or both. So maybe you missed some? ;)
Whoops! Sorry. I only changed the options in the guest. The host stayed untouched. It has some engery saving options on.
RapidRico

Post by RapidRico »

scottgus1 wrote:
00:05:09.471170 VD#0: Read (0 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
00:05:09.471184 AHCI#0P0: Read at offset 89743601664 (4096 bytes left) returned rc=VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
00:05:09.471369 AHCI#0: Port 0 reset
00:05:09.472390 VD#0: Cancelling all active requests
.....repeated ad infinitum
Seems the guest is losing connection to its drive files on the host drive. Do a disk check on your host drives and start doing backups.
I don't think the HD is corrupt. It is a fairly new SSD. But your quote on the logfile thankfully pushed me to the an other direction.
I found an article that proposed to enabled th I/O cache. It worked and the VM did not freeze again. But the HD access was noticeable slower. Booting up Windows 10 up to the login screen took 66 seconds instead of 34 secs. That seems to be a common side effect. I now want to experiment with changing the adapter to IDE and enabling the SSD option. I will post the results here.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I amended my previous post.
RapidRico wrote:enabled th I/O cache. [...] But the HD access was noticeable slower. Booting up Windows 10 up to the login screen took 66 seconds instead of 34 secs. That seems to be a common side effect.
Interesting, do you have a source for the last sentence? For most users (me included), it seems to be the other way around.
RapidRico

Post by RapidRico »

fth0 wrote:I amended my previous post.
RapidRico wrote:enabled th I/O cache. [...] But the HD access was noticeable slower. Booting up Windows 10 up to the login screen took 66 seconds instead of 34 secs. That seems to be a common side effect.
Interesting, do you have a source for the last sentence? For most users (me included), it seems to be the other way around.
I now read the whole thread. :) It used to be a bug in a older version of Virtualbox.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9975
By now it should have been fixed. Strangely not for me.

Meanwhile I had the chance of trying out the other options. Turning Sata results in a blue screen. Switching the adapter to IDE PIIX4 and PIIX3 worked after going to safemode worked but also took like forever.

Maybe it has something to do with me resizing the the partition shortly after installing it.
RapidRico

Post by RapidRico »

I now installed a new VM and selected Host I/O cache from the beginning. Seems to hold so far.
heavenart

Post by heavenart »

I had the same problem with virtualbox 6.1.36 (today is the last version) and windows 10.
After a while the windows guest freezes and the only temporary solution I founded was to changed scaled view (host+C) but was not a permanent solution.
I SOLVED DISABLING AUDIO FROM VIRTUALBOX SETTINGS
It didn't work reducing RAM or disabling energy power options as someone suggested.
Thomas_B

Post by Thomas_B »

heavenart wrote:I had the same problem with virtualbox 6.1.36 (today is the last version) and windows 10.
After a while the windows guest freezes and the only temporary solution I founded was to changed scaled view (host+C) but was not a permanent solution.
I SOLVED DISABLING AUDIO FROM VIRTUALBOX SETTINGS
It didn't work reducing RAM or disabling energy power options as someone suggested.
I have exactly the same problem.
Any suggestions anyone ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thomas_B wrote:I have exactly the same problem.
Any suggestions anyone ?
Yes: do what's suggested in the above topic. If these don't solve your problem, start a new topic, since this one is two years old and your issue is probably only a few days old :wink: , and provide in the new topic Minimum Info Needed for Assistance