VB test build 6.1.35 r151866 - working with Hyper-V enabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AndyCot

VB test build 6.1.35 r151866 - working with Hyper-V enabled

Post by AndyCot »

Today's new VirtualBox test build 6.1.35 r151866 release (still) works with Hyper-V enabled like the previous test build. If you need VirtualBox and WSL2 or Docker then you should try it IMHO as the 6.1.34 does not support Hyper-V that WSL2 or Docker require.

If you do download the test build then make sure you keep a copy of the files in case you need them as you cannot download them once a later test build is released.

The test builds can be downloaded from the following page:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VB test build 6.1.35 r151866 - working with Hyper-V enabled

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting back! :)
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

There's a catch for the test builds:
The Windows test build packages are working precisely like a usual VirtualBox installer packages, with one difference: they will not work (the error message will point to unsigned drivers) if you install them on Windows 10 if your system has UEFI secure boot enabled. To make these test build work you need to disable UEFI secure boot in the system's UEFI config.
Not all of us have the ability to get into bios settings, besides don't know if it's even a recommend practice to disable UEFI.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For those who aren't able to edit the BIOS or disable secure boot, then they'll have to wait for the odd-numbered test build to become the next even-numbered official release. QED. :lol:

Note that if 'not able to' really means 'not allowed to', as in the IT dept restricts it, then you'd have to get the boss to make IT give you permission. Sell Virtualbox to the boss and the boss will make it happen.

In the present bug situation over active Hyper-V on the Windows 10 host, it may also be possible to use the last working 10/Hyper-V-compatible version 6.1.26, which did not need the test build BIOS tweaks.
Azzip

Post by Azzip »

AndyCot wrote:Today's new VirtualBox test build 6.1.35 r151866 release (still) works with Hyper-V enabled like the previous test build. If you need VirtualBox and WSL2 or Docker then you should try it IMHO as the 6.1.34 does not support Hyper-V that WSL2 or Docker require.
Thank you so much! I can confirm that VirtualBox test build 6.1.35-152011 is also working nicely with Hyper-V enabled.

However, since I am new to the issue (have only recently installed Docker and now ran into this problem after having used VirtualBox without HyperV for many years): Could you please clarify why you emphasized the "still" in your post? Are there any plans to drop proper HyperV support from the test build before release of the final version?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I can't speak to Andy's "still", but there are no plans to remove Hyper-V support.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Azzip wrote:Could you please clarify why you emphasized the "still" in your post
I'm not him, but I think the "still" relates to the previous test build 6.1.35r151573, which already contained the bugfix.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

fht0 is 100% correct.

There are multiple test releases and you cannot tell how many or when they were releases or what versions they were as the test releases are overwritten with each new release due to the test release process. The process is one that works and I have used a similar for bleeding edge test releases before progressing to beta releases.

BTW make sure you keep any test downloads you do and do not delete them until you are 10000% sure you do not need them as you will NOT be able to download them once a later test release is done. Sometimes the tests do introduce bugs/undocumented features that may affect you in a good or bad way that can cause you to go back.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Just checked and new test release available:
VirtualBox-6.1.35-152011-Win.exe

Watch out for new thread later today about my test results.