Linux VMs "pausing" (equals "crashing")/unable to save state

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eastofeast

Linux VMs "pausing" (equals "crashing")/unable to save state

Post by eastofeast »

Hello, I've got quite a few Linux VMs running here on Windows 10, just for trying out distros and playing around with settings. Everything was mostly fine until just recently, but now unfortuinately some of them have become unusable, and those that are usable are pretty unreliable now.

For example, the Ubuntu 20.04 VM more or less still works, but it's no longer possible to save the machine's state, which is a bit annoying. Far worse though - the Kali Linux and Linux Mint installations are just useless right now. I boot them up, and they just freeze in the "paused" state. Obviously "paused" is not a useful way to characterise this, because there's nothing I can do to get them going again. There are a few more VMs on there, and I suppose that these problems will apply to them, but those are the ones that I've been using most.

This really only happened today, while I was using 2 or 3 of them at the same time (trying to get them to communicate with each other), so I'm wondering what it can be. I've got plenty of RAM (32GB), so I don't think it can be lack of that. I've tried updating VirtualBox to the latest version (6.1.34 r150636), and then added Extension_Pack-6.1.34, but that hasn't changed anything. Any ideas out there about what's going on??? I wasn't sure whether to post here, or on the Linux Guest thread. Since I don't have any non-Linux VMs on the VirtualBox, I can't really tell if it's a host or guest problem, but I'm assuming host, hence posting on here!

scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Linux VMs "pausing" (equals "crashing")/unable to save state

Post by scottgus1 »

Try setting the VM to 2 processors if it is not already.

If that doesn't work, right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. You have two options:

1. Try the 6.1.35 test build. Save the test build installer until you update again later. You'll need it if your host's MSI installation database goes south (they do) and the installer will not be available for download after the next even-number version gets released.

2. Turn off Hyper-V. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
eastofeast

Post by eastofeast »

Hi, and thanks so much for the swift reply. Actually I've just figured it out. The disk was full!!! I suppose that that's the most common reason, right? Sorry! I guess the size of them just creeps up sometimes without you noticing, eh. So I just moved the ones that I haven't been using from the SSD to the HDD. I guess there's probably no point sending log files that are now completely predictable for you guys :~)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're up and running, then that's great! No logs needed for now. If you have a problem in the future, we'll be here.