Kernel panic in Win11

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
skerzo

Kernel panic in Win11

Post by skerzo »

Hello, from today I can't start any VMs in Win11. Yesterday I updated Win11 to build 22000 and since there, I could work on it with no problems. I also used CCleaner (but couldn't restore logs) so I'm not sure what caused the issue.
I haven't be able to resolve the problem, can someone please help me? Many thanks for your help.
Attachments
VirtualBox_base_01_05_2022_11_56_37.png
VirtualBox_base_01_05_2022_11_56_37.png (22.68 KiB) Viewed 10145 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kernel panic in Win11

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

I suggest that you also stop using CCleaner. I consider it snake oil, any benefits will be purely imaginary, but any harms will be quite real.
skerzo

Post by skerzo »

Thanks for the quick reply! I will never use CCleaner anymore, I was just looking for any duplicate in my archiving systems and I read about it.
I'm attaching log file you've requested me. Please tell me if you need any other useful information, and many thanks for your time.
Attachments
base-2022-05-01-12-02-56.zip
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Give the VM a second CPU core. Then max out the graphics RAM option in the VM settings (max will be 128MB). Then install the extension pack.

Finally, you have Hyper-v enabled.
HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

I note also that the VM is starting from CD, but you did not signal that you were trying to install a VM - you gave me the impression that this was a working VM. Guest OS's really need to be properly installed to the local (virtual) hard disk, not run indefinitely from a live CD.
skerzo

Post by skerzo »

I added a second CPU core and maxed graphics RAM, and everything seems fine. Many thanks for your kind help. I've also disabled Hyper V following those steps, and installed the extension pack.
I may need to install guest additions in a cli os (debian-x64) and clone it, for routing's homework, working with VBoxManage, so I would like to keep it lighest and install on it just essentials.
I would also ask to you if - once terminated the os's installation - I can switch back to one CPU core, and lower RAM graphics option due to these simple tasks (I should just pings those machine each others).
PS) I was trying to start from CD because, in my ignorance, I've unistalled and deleted everythings while looking for a solution this morning.
PS2) Sorry for my bad english, and thanks again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I would not recommend switching back to one core. Most modern OS expect and will run best on multiple cores, most VMs run sweetly on 2 cores. You have an 8 core host, so 2 cores to a VM is light resource usage. Better that than have one core maxing out at regular intervals.
Jason Perry

Post by Jason Perry »

Adding a second core and maxing video ram solved my problem as well.
Copeland

Post by Copeland »

I had exactly the same problem.
New Dell PC.
Installed VirtualBox, OK. Tried to install Debian 11.3.0 All OK< but when it came to running Debian, I got the same Kernel Panic message.
Turns out McAfee firewall was blocking stuff.
I removed it and turned on Windows Defender Firewall and added VirtualBox.exe to the allowed list of apps.
Restarted the whole thing and everything worked just fine.
NiceGuy1

Post by NiceGuy1 »

The first option, which is to bump the number of CPUs from 1 to 2, works for me. I have a laptop with an AMD CPU, which may be the problem. Alternatively, I installed a VM with the latest version of Fedora on a workstation with a Xeon processor ( and chose the default CPU value of 1), and it installed fine.

Also, I made sure to mount the iso to my Devices > Optical Drive. This did the trick.