Print to PDF in WXP guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GeorgeLG

Print to PDF in WXP guest

Post by GeorgeLG »

I have installed VM Box and a WXP lite (no licence, no internet) guest with an application on the guest. All is perfect. Created a shared folder to pass files between guest and host, perfect. Need to be able to print to pdf from the guest app and share the pdf's back to the host on the shared drive. Passed an old standby through the looking glass to the guest - PDF995 driver and converter, installed both, looked normal. No pdf printer available however on the guest. Im so close, can someone get me to the finish line with a print to pdf capability on my guest WXP lite install so I can print PDF's and pass then back through the worm hole to the host? I dont care what software I use.

Thanks,

George
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Print to PDF in WXP guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Printing to PDF is entirely an OS function, not in any way influenced, controlled or prevented by Virtualbox. The issue you're facing is only an XP problem. Nor do we have any official instruction on installing or using PDF995.
GeorgeLG wrote:WXP lite
Does this 'lite-ened' version have printing support? A full XP OS might work better, though you'd have to activate it.
GeorgeLG wrote:PDF995 driver and converter, installed both
Super silly question, but just double-checking you did this inside the XP OS?
GeorgeLG

Post by GeorgeLG »

Experimentation has yielded some further clarification. The print to pdf print driver installed in the guest (WXP lite, no registration)works fine after i figured out to start the print spooler manually. . I can print to pdf into the shared worm hole folder and if i go back to the host for viewing or retrieval all is good. I just cant view the pdf that was created back in the guest (WXP lite) because the free pdf viewers want to phone home for ad content etc and wont display the pdf. If anyone has an idea for a free pdf viewer/converter for a windows XP guest install with no internet access Im all ears.

George
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

GeorgeLG wrote:free pdf viewer/converter for a windows XP guest install with no internet access
Better to web-search this.
GeorgeLG

Post by GeorgeLG »

scottgus1 wrote:
GeorgeLG wrote:free pdf viewer/converter for a windows XP guest install with no internet access
Better to web-search this.
Did that and the next option had the same issues so thought maybe someone knew of a solution for this.

George
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Many installer CDs of the day had an Adobe Acrobat installer in the support folders. Try looking there.
GeorgeLG

Post by GeorgeLG »

Thanks. Here is my final solution in case someone else searches this:

Load VM Box
Load my guest program
Add VB Extension pack
Add Guest additions CD drive/share folder (worm hole)
Start print spooler service
Load a print to pdf capability (my old PDF995 worked)
Find an old XP compatible Adobe Acrobat stand alone pgm from a MB disk that does not phone home
Move the exe file into the wormhole folder from the CD

My issue was getting the ability to read the pdf once I printed to pdf but all freeware wanted to dial home. These standalone pkg's on the mb disk could read the pdf docs before you were online.

George