Got in trouble...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CactusWren

Got in trouble...

Post by CactusWren »

VB worked well most of today, then it didn't.

At some point, input began to get laggy. I had installed VB Guest Additions. Looking around for other ideas, I disabled Hypervisor. Then, when I turned the VB on, it wouldn't boot and I was getting messages about corrupted disks.

I decided to go to an older snapshot and I turned Hypervisor back on.

Now I get the green turtle icon (I think the green turtle icon has always been there). But the VB is quite laggy, and has frozen on opening up Chrome twice. I could use some help to try to get this thing running. I normally need to run Chrome + Cypress + VS Code + Apache.

[Log Attached ]
AndyCot

Re: Got in trouble...

Post by AndyCot »

Please supply:
1) VB version.
2) What Host OS version are you using?
3) What Guest OS version are you using?
4) Did you upgrade and the problem started after the upgrade? If you did what was the previous VB version?
5) What are the exact error message(s)?
6) No logs were attached. Other people need to logs to help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
CactusWren

Post by CactusWren »

Sorry, don't know why that didn't get uploaded.

1) VB version. 6.1.32
2) What Host OS version are you using? Windows 10
3) What Guest OS version are you using? Ubuntu 20.0.4
4) Did you upgrade and the problem started after the upgrade? If you did what was the previous VB version?
It's hard to say, since I've had consistent problems with VB from the start (about 8 months ago), but the corruption issue did happen after the VB upgrade + Guest Additions upgrade
5) What are the exact error message(s)?
6) No logs were attached. Other people need to logs to help attached

I am also starting to wonder if there's something wrong with this SDD. It's a new SDD and when I had to take my computer into the shop a couple of weeks ago, he was suspicious of it and said there had been hundreds of paging errors.

NOTE: I disabled the 3D acceleration after this post. Having it enabled was part of the snapshot I went back to.
Attachments
disable_3d.zip
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 1 time