1.32 crashing/restarting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BCosell

1.32 crashing/restarting

Post by BCosell »

I've gotten fully updated to 1.32 [win10pro guest on a win10/pro host] and I've noticed that the VM keeps crashing and restarting. [I has happened three times this morning. it happened a few times last night right after I got 1.32 installed] Is there some way to find out what is going wrong ? Any logs or diagnostics I can collect/lookat to try to figure out what's happening?

Just happened again. I'd just restarted and just to check I opened a browser window and went to a random website just to see if the VM was gonna work, and then, as its home-page was coming up, the VM froze and then about 15 seconds later rebooted. and then after it rebooted it came up but froze [even before I was able to do anything] and then crashed and rebooted again. So this time when the windows came up I try "send the shutdown signal" -- and obediently windows said "shutting down" but it's now about five minutes later and it hasn't shut down yet -- it is as if the VM crashed, again, while windows was trying to close. So this time I just did "power down the machine" -- that worked.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 1.32 crashing/restarting

Post by scottgus1 »

1.32? That's an old version!

Unless you meant 6.1.32... :lol:

I know, pedantic, but accuracy in reporting is a good habit to get into.

All such VM crash topics should have a posted vbox.log showing the crash event.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Got it. DIdn't know about the logs.. sigh. The VM was rebooting and rebooting so I just shut it down entirely ["power down"] and now it is up and behaving . if/when it gets touchy I'll know what to do . Thanks!
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

OK< got the logs this AM. First set of logs is the VM just not starting. It just sat there for ten minutes when I got bored. Then I killed and restarted it and after it was up for just a minute or two the VM restarted. I shut down windows cleanly. i"ve attached both logs
Attachments
Win 10-2022-01-25-07-41-41.zip
VM restarted
(41.56 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Win 10-2022-01-25-07-28-43.zip
VM never finished starting-up
(22.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Only 1 core assigned, so it's gonna be slow (2 cores are best, not more).

Plus you have Hyper-v enabled, so again it's gonna be slow.
HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Don't know anything about cores - AFAIK VB configured itself when I installed it. How do I adjust that/

And it's odd about hyper-v : I checked and windows doesn't think it is enabled.
Attachments
hyper-V.PNG
hyper-V.PNG (6.76 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Curious, but the linked tutorial has a point about not trusting the Windows Features dialog box.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

working on hyper-v and the other stuff. I just found where the "cpu"s setting is for the VM and changed it from 1 to 2.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

I did the two CMD commands to disable Hyper-V, both ran and said they were successful. I then shut down and rebooted my system and when I booted it back up I went to run VM and I'm still turtled with "paravirtualization service; Hyper-V". And indeed, in the log is

00:00:02.973596 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.991450 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:02.991499 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
00:00:02.991504 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeExtendedVmExits = 0x00000000000003ff

I'm not sure what to do next...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Paravirtualization set to Hyper-V is fine.

Is your computer in a corporate environment with IT overlords?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

BCosell wrote:I then shut down
When you really shut down the Windows host OS, chances are that you used the Windows Fast Startup mode. Try restarting the Windows host OS instead of shutting it down, after you've executed the bcdedit command again.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

my sad tale of incompetence and woe seems to be sort of fixed now. I Wondered if it was 6.1.32's problem , so I tried to downgrade to 6.1.30. That didn't work: I couldn't figure out how to get it to load the 6.1.30 extensions - I ran it as admin and I expected to have it ask me to load the extension pack, but it never did. Of coruse 6.1.30 wouldn't start. So I rebooted again and reinstalled 6.1.32. It went OK and I tried firing it up to see where I stood. Two things: it booted faster than I've *EVER* had VB boot before.. as you see in the logs, four seconds. And my turtle is gone from the taskbar. Where the turtle was is a little box with a V in it. I'm a little perplexed, though: when I hover over it, among the things it tells me is that the paravirtualization service is Hyper-V. Should I just leave it alone and see how this installation goes or should I go back to the host win10 and try disabling Hyper-V again.
Attachments
Win 10-2022-01-25-13-45-11.zip
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

BCosell wrote:paravirtualization service is Hyper-V.
scottgus1 wrote:Paravirtualization set to Hyper-V is fine.
Paravirtualization Interface is a comm channel provided by modern virtualization-aware OS's to talk to the hypervisor they're running on. It is expected that Windows VMs will use Hyper-V for paravirtualization. This does not enable Hyper-V on the host.