Issue on Microsoft Surface BSOD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dunkin4gzus

Issue on Microsoft Surface BSOD

Post by Dunkin4gzus »

Hello,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask a troubleshooting question like this. I am running VirtualBox on a Microsoft Surface Laptop. I have had multiple issues with BSOD any time I'm running VirtualBox. It seems it all traces back to the Microsoft Surface Ethernet Adapter, but only when I'm running a VirtualBox guest.

Currently there have been several versions of updates to the Surface Ethernet Adapter Driver. I'm currently running this version 10.3.1019.2016 because it seems to be the most stable. I'm still monitoring to see if it goes BSOD on me again. The BSOD error shows an error with the file msump64x64.sys, which I have traced back to the issue with the Surface Ethernet Adapter Drivers.

VirtualBox Version 6.1.30 r148432 (Qt5.6.2)
Surface Ethernet Adapter Driver Version 10.3.1019.2016
Windows 10 with all latest updates loaded, but with the Ethernet Driver rolled back to aforementioned version
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issue on Microsoft Surface BSOD

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox puts a Bridged Networking driver binding on the physical network drivers. You could try uninstalling Virtualbox then reinstalling with the Bridged networking option turned off. The VMs would still be networkable via NAT and possibly Host-Only. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures